Peter you seem like a regular guy :thumb:

mikelet
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: Yes
Brand Affiliation: No

Re: Goofy versus regular surf riding

Postby mikelet » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:37 pm

:D Correct !, i'm regular and lefthanded..

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:42 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:27 pm
Peter you seem like a regular guy :thumb:

Ha haa, thanks PullStrings, but very rare I get to ride on that side here, so my goofy side has evolved and now being stronger/more fluid now (okay, lets not be too cocky and instead say, my goofy is not totally as bad as my regular).

So having windsurfed and kite wavesurfed for so long it doesnt mean anything which side, for me, when riding waves.
Jumping though is a different thing, here my regular side still rules.
Riding waves, my most often used side, goofy, is more clean and smooth.

If I go surfing, I am stricly regular though, true.

8) Peter

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:52 am

goofy riding right handers

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:31 am

peter where did you see those statistics? ive looked at this before and i remember it being almost as close (but no correlation) to handedness for writing. this site says it's 70/30 in favor of regular https://whitelines.com/archive/features ... aphic.html

in any case, i'd guess that the sample size is way too small to make any kind of determinations about rider "creativeness". niche competition in a niche sport isn't really something to extrapolate from

although of course being goofy footed is better ;)

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:19 am

Thanks Peter, that helps explain things. Now all I wish is that I did not have a bias. And this bias was noticeable from the very start, for example, riding a twintip was easier for me with right foot back from the very beginning, and still affects my jumping ability (far better with right foot back), and transitions. So in Cape Town, this bias is helpful for launching off waves on the way out, but not for riding them back in (and I will try to understand what mikelet says for help with riding lefties with one's back to the wave).

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:55 am

I am regular footed, unfortunately the main wind direction here is from the left. Riding the wave frontside with your „unnatural“ foot forward is about training, but it will probably never feel so intuitive.
Working on land with a surf skateboard like a Carver helps a lot, because you can do endless repetitions and work on the muscle memory.

mikelet
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: Yes
Brand Affiliation: No

Postby mikelet » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:48 pm

Backside riding a wave with a kite , it is very often underrated and i don't know why ...
Doing it with style it's more technical and implies more marked movements of your upper body ..
Frontside is more affordable for anyone that knows how to follow a kite ,any intermediate can make it look good in no time....
Some of the best waves i've ridden and keep in my memories were backside...
Love the thrill of entering at full speed on a freigth train , push out the bar and surf the thing...

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:32 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:25 pm
When i go surfing waves without a kite i ride goofy !!!!........but when kitesurfing & skateboarding i ride regular....feels totally natural...can't explain that one
It's natural for me to pop up on my feet to surf with right foot forward.....i tried to pop left foot forward.. i wipe out short after ...yep weird brain muscles :D
This is hilarious and super curious I'm the same but reverse ... when I kitesurf and a little skateboarding or rollerblading my dominance is goofy (RFFwd) but when I go surfing I always pop up regular and as much as I've tried to force to pop up RFFwd (and mainly out of curiosity to see if it feels different) I still end up coming up regular.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:57 pm

pixelpedro wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:32 pm
PullStrings wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:25 pm
When i go surfing waves without a kite i ride goofy !!!!........but when kitesurfing & skateboarding i ride regular....feels totally natural...can't explain that one
It's natural for me to pop up on my feet to surf with right foot forward.....i tried to pop left foot forward.. i wipe out short after ...yep weird brain muscles :D
This is hilarious and super curious I'm the same but reverse ... when I kitesurf and a little skateboarding or rollerblading my dominance is goofy (RFFwd) but when I go surfing I always pop up regular and as much as I've tried to force to pop up RFFwd (and mainly out of curiosity to see if it feels different) I still end up coming up regular.
WOW that's cool...thanks for that ...feel much more "normal " knowing that :lol:
How about when you throw a frisbee or a ball ....here frisbee left hand...ball right hand....writing right hand....plus toilet flush direction is same as high pressure wind..clockwise

Return to “Kitesurfing”