Auto depower release deadman lifesaver brainstorming

Forum for kitesurfers
Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Mon May 12, 2003 1:27 pm

Hernan, yeah let go of the bar and it releases is good for beginners. It also doesn't have to be a rotating system.
The idea of being able to lock/exclude it would also make it suitable for advanced riders who could just use it while on/near land.
What about if you got lofted with the system activated and let go of the bar???

Ron what about long/high jumps? You could be jumping high enough on water for it to be cool,but definately not a good idea on land
Maybe some sort of system that you can switch on/off, if it's electronic it could be a system that released if you went horrizontal instead of vertical, switch it off while on the water and on when on land so if you get dragged it releases. Might this accidentally release if you got lofted though???

Toby, I agree anything for jumping riders has to be set up so it doesn't accidentally release in jumps of hard water landings/drags.

Robert
Frequent Poster

Postby Robert » Mon May 12, 2003 1:34 pm

Hi,

Remote (radio) controlled servo trigger device.
Wear something like a watch with a button.

Cheers,
Robert
Last edited by Robert on Mon May 12, 2003 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Mon May 12, 2003 1:35 pm

I've also been thinking about what I suggested for the endless flight thread. A kite with big flaps in the canopy that vent the air when you depower the kite and close when you power up.
This way maybe if you had the trim pulled all the way in (launching/landing mode) and let go of the bar it would pull really little and be unable to fly but you could keep the kite in the air by keeping the bar powered. As soon as you let go the kite dies, when on the water let the trim out so you can ride the kite on the trim. You'd have loads of depower available, right down to being able to completely kill the kite and also the potential for enourmous jumps and hangtime. If you can only just hold the kite with the trim just a little out and the vents nearly all the way open, then to jump pull down on the bar to close the vents and your kite gets twice as big.

Or something like that

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Mon May 12, 2003 1:53 pm

Mr Jo Macdonald wrote:Hernan, yeah let go of the bar and it releases is good for beginners. It also doesn't have to be a rotating system.
The idea of being able to lock/exclude it would also make it suitable for advanced riders who could just use it while on/near land.
What about if you got lofted with the system activated and let go of the bar???.
Hi, Jo.
If you are getting lofted or something like that you SHOULD LET GO.
Even unhooked, if you dont let go you will be lofted!
This system could be spinnable as any other.
Does you have seen the new Storm 2 bar?
It has a new and very interesting leash.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Mon May 12, 2003 1:59 pm

OK, let go before getting lofted (if possible) but not if you're several (3-10) meters up in the air surely?

Chappakite
Rare Poster

Postby Chappakite » Mon May 12, 2003 3:48 pm

I am really a newbie, but I stumbled onto something that worked for me. I added a 1.5 inch ball to my Wichard shackle so I wouldn't miss it, and when the kite dragged me up the beach, it released. (The shackle held only my harness line loop; I wasn't shackled onto the kite.)

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Mon May 12, 2003 4:01 pm

Hey Chappa, do you mean the beach dragged the big ball down your body and released the shackle? That's what I was talking about, tell us more.

If you weren't shackled to the kite what did the ball release?
Do you mean the fixed loop on the bar?

Robert
Frequent Poster

Postby Robert » Mon May 12, 2003 4:06 pm

Hi,

i think the 1,5 inch ball was underneath him and because of friction the ball released the wichard. Very simple but can you depend on it?

Chappakite
Rare Poster

Postby Chappakite » Mon May 12, 2003 4:13 pm

I know it's not reliable, but it worked that time. The beach opened the Wichard shackle. I had rigged the shackle to hold a loop of harness line, so that I could hook and unhook. When the shackle releases, you loose that loop.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Mon May 12, 2003 4:20 pm

Sounds good, I always avoided big balls (on shackles) because they can catch in the spreader hook and cause accidental releases but without a spreader hook there shouldn't be any problems.
The only question like you said Robert is how much can you depend on it, anyone for a few beach drags??

Return to “Kitesurfing”