Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Riding with out a board leash

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Riding with out a board leash

Postby Guest » Tue May 13, 2003 4:03 am

I recently started riding with our aboard leash. The other day I drop my kite in the water (which I don’t do much any more), I was having a really hard time holding on to the board with one hand, and trying to re-launch to kite on the other hand. I was pretty far out and was worried that if I let go of my board I will have a hard time finding it when I re-launch the kite. Any advice?

GregW
Frequent Poster

Postby GregW » Tue May 13, 2003 5:00 am

You put put a smallish loop of rope where the leash usually goes and if you drop your kite just hook your arm/hand/leg through it until you have relaunched. You could also put a shackle on your harness and hook it into that.

I think most people just keep the board on their feet when relaunching. I don't know how you do that if you are swimming to try and roll you kite over to relaunch. I ride foils and I don't have to do any of that stuff.

Mo
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The KiteHouse _ North Marina _ Liban Nord
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan, Ras Sudr
Style: Freestyle
Gear: DTK Mono 2020 15m, 2020 Mono 11m, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 Rebel SLS 10m, 2021 Neo SLS 9m, 2020 Dice 9m, 2022 Dice 8m, 2022 Dice 7m, 2022 Neo SLS 5m
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby Mo » Tue May 13, 2003 6:36 am

I always ride with a foot leash attached to my board. Well.... no accidents so far but I always watch the board in wavy conditions and should the board leave my feet on a jump or something... it comes back on you... so watch it!

Mo

tweekster
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tweekster » Tue May 13, 2003 7:13 am

if you have to use a board leash you might want to try this tip. i bought a premade version of this and it works, but it does have a few short comings, which i will explain in the end.

you will need a boogie board leash (the coiled type) and a regular surfboard leash. the newer leashes have the swivel set into the ankle cuff with a small set screw. undo the cuff from the surfboard leash and replace it with the boogie board leash using the set screw and swivel. then undo the wrist cuff from the coiled boogie leash and replace that with the ankle cuff from the surfboard leash. you now have 6' of surfboard leash attached to another couple feet of coiled boogie leash to absorb the recoil.

on the down side, while the recoil is significantly dampened i found that the springing effect of the coiled section constantly had the leash bouncing back in and around my feet. i have since gone back to a regular leash. the premade leash that i bought was made for use riding mals. the coiled section was attached to only about 3 feet of surfboard leash. i am thinking that maybe the 6 footer would be heavier and therefore less prone to bouncing :?: maybe someone else has a suggestion to keep the bouncing down. :thumb:

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Tue May 13, 2003 2:17 pm

Put the board on your feet while relaunching, tips on relaunching and bodydragging upwind in the info section under basic tips.
Once you get it sussed you can still lose contact with your board, when this happens look also downwind because you might have got so far upwind your board is downwind of where you now are

zbose
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby zbose » Tue May 13, 2003 7:11 pm

I just carry a small line that I can clip to my board when I am in the water (or you can just clip your kite leash to your board).

Works well.

Return to “Kitesurfing”