Forum for kitesurfers
Dingoman
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

anybody started kitesurfing on F-ARC

Postby Dingoman » Thu May 15, 2003 1:36 pm

ok here's me again trying to see who's entered the sport through the steepest learning curve; if you have a story to add ar experience to share or statistics, that'll be great if you do. F-ARC is my next kite and am scrutinizing it however I can

tallakt
Medium Poster

Learning on F-Arc

Postby tallakt » Thu May 15, 2003 1:44 pm

I had an F-Arc 16 as my second kite. Though hyped up as an extreme kite, it is not really that difficult to handle. The 16 is quite slow and doesn't fall from the sky easily. It doesn't waterstart though, but I would think many beginners were not able to do this anyway.

Protos
Frequent Poster

Postby Protos » Thu May 15, 2003 2:47 pm

I recently bought a F12. I've been flying ARCs for a year or so, and kiting for 3-4 seasons.
I was quite surprised, after hearing all the "experts only" hype, this kite is really very well mannered in the air! Launching you may find tricky, if you're not used to self-launching ARCs to begin with (make sure you have full pre-inflation!).
Once up, it is super stable and fun.
:thumb:

F12-Flyer
Frequent Poster

Postby F12-Flyer » Thu May 15, 2003 3:06 pm

I used a 630 for about 15 sessions the hopped on the F12 and found the F12 was easier to fly and way more stable. Perfomance far surpass the 630 can really improve once you get use to the finer points.

Rod

lewis
Medium Poster

Postby lewis » Thu May 15, 2003 3:23 pm

so why were they pimped as elite only?
Is it just the usual "it won't relaunch so nobody should fly it" bit?

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Thu May 15, 2003 3:38 pm

There were definitely some missed sales because of the experts only comments. The F was being compared to the Standards in that it did not relaunch (the same way as the S or for that matter fly the same way either). And the fact is that it flies real nice and can be relaunched...even though the guys that fly them regularly say they don't know about relaunch as they've never dropped them.

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Fri May 16, 2003 2:00 pm

I agree - with all the above!

I got the F16 because it was soooo beautiful in the air. I've had lotsa false starts early on, but it's never bitten me hard. It's slow, but the general opinion developing seems to be "park the F'er - don't sine it!"...so, in that context, who needs to work the hell out of it anyway?!

I found I could develop more AW with an S-1120 but the power spikes were no more useful than a lazy F16 in the same light air.

I got a F12 not long ago...and this little sucker is a full-on hotrod. It may be that I'm scared of taking the F16 out in the same wind, but I can get a helluva workout on this little guy.

Relaunch is prayer and a hope with all the ARC's...I've swum in all of them.
A 5th line on a blimp is easier/faster, but - on average - I'd say with an ARC of any sort, espc. the S, the chances of it going in are less than half that of a blimp.

In contrast, I feel safer with the ARC's not because of the auto-zenith stuff...but because I can put the F12 in the water when I'm getting worked-over and end the pain.

I'd still think it's easier to learn on a S (currently a 'steal' on the street) or G. Leave the F's for the connoisseur's.

Play hard.

jim[/i]

wakeboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby wakeboy » Fri May 16, 2003 10:49 pm

HOW do the f's compare to teh g's, are they massively superior in lift power turn etc, or are they oly slighlty better???

Mr Float
Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Float » Fri May 16, 2003 11:08 pm

wakeboy wrote:HOW do the f's compare to teh g's, are they massively superior in lift power turn etc, or are they oly slighlty better???
They are higher AR and also more prone to stalling .I find the Lift and power of the G more useful with faster turns and the F's are not too flash in the transition dept.

Dingoman
Medium Poster

Postby Dingoman » Sat May 17, 2003 8:20 am

what about wind range? according to the charts, a 75 kg rider should manage from about 8 knots to 25 -experience considered.
Wat if we compare it to an 840 arc, which again, according to catalogue planes from 12 to 25, lets say in a 14 knots wind, what would you feel safer with, more comfortable with, what would your only kite be imagining you can afford one and both cost the same..?
:thumb: :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”