Forum for kitesurfers
vide
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Storm 2 safety release

Postby vide » Sun May 18, 2003 9:55 am

This seems to be what we have all been waiting for. A safety release built into the chicken loop, so there is no exta line and unlimited spinning.

This is a safety that even (chicken looping) pros will use, and they wont even know it's there.

If anyone works out a good way to make one home made, or convert a naish X2/X3 bar easily, then please let me know.

Seems simple enough... But might need some heavy duty sewing.

(Search these forums for details of the Storm2 system).

DT

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Sun May 18, 2003 10:33 am

I have done a prototype home made version yesterday. You need a easy to splice rope. A 12 strand, like AmStell (samsonrope.com) is the way to go.
The release system is the most difficult to made part. I have used a SS pin with a PVC tubing and a small shockord to lock it in place. A sewed webbing w/velcro like the original is good but you need a seweing machine.

I will use it with a grab backline leash for solo landings as this system is very difficult to re-attach if the kite is still pulling.
ho
The system is the best option up to date. You could addapt any bar if its hole is large enough. ( I guess a 10mm hole is perfect). The X2 bar has a medium size hole. Using a 3/8 rope could work.
I have my digital camera at the service, when I get it back I could post some pics on How-to.

Philipp
Rare Poster

Postby Philipp » Sun May 18, 2003 1:51 pm

I agree with Vide, the Storm 2 systems looks great. Two issues remain which I am not sure about:

a) Does the system still work after several rotations when the two front lines are still twisted around each other (which is usually the case even after rotating the bar back unless you have a rotating hook/wichard)?

b) Is it as easy to grab/find the top release (especially when launching the kite) as a normal release closer to your harness?

Would be great if anybody with experience of this system could help out here ...

Philipp

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Sun May 18, 2003 3:35 pm

Phillip: this system would work with several twist in the lines as good as any other sliding line leash, (sometimes will, sometime won't.)

I decide to rig one to try myself as the top of the depower rope is a very reachable place to have a QR trigger. Next day out place attention on that.

One good thing is that you could have your right hand at the bar with the release ball in your hand at the same time, (with the bar at the top of the depower rope). This is a very fast way to get out of trouble when landing or launching near land.

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Re: Storm 2 safety release

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Mon May 19, 2003 3:26 am

[quote="vide"]This seems to be what we have all been waiting for. A safety release built into the chicken loop, so there is no exta line and unlimited spinning.

This is a safety that even (chicken looping) pros will use, and they wont even know it's there.

If anyone works out a good way to make one home made, or convert a naish X2/X3 bar easily, then please let me know.

Seems simple enough... But might need some heavy duty sewing.

(Search these forums for details of the Storm2 system).

DT[/quote]

HI Dave
Flexifoil have been caught a bit with the popularity of the Storm2 and the leashless system. We had hoped to be able to sell the bar separately, but not for a few more week yet.
I have a few kites coming this week complete with bars (our first kites came kite only).
I am sure people who know how to splice rope, will have no trouble making their own, but most people will probably just buy one.

Hopefully we will got some wind and time to do a test on the water soon. When I get some spare bars I will be sending out demo units for people to try, and one will be available from Kitepower Geelong, so you may have to meet up with Goshen or go down to kite at Pt Henry/Torquay again?

It is such a good system that I would abandon using my own system in favour of it!

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Mon May 19, 2003 3:36 am

I am the Oz dealer for Flexifoil, answers inserted below. :-)

[quote="Philipp"]I agree with Vide, the Storm 2 systems looks great. Two issues remain which I am not sure about:

a) Does the system still work after several rotations when the two front lines are still twisted around each other (which is usually the case even after rotating the bar back unless you have a rotating hook/wichard)?

:idea: Yes but you usually have a bungy leash line wrapped up in those twists too, on the Storm 2 system, there is no bungy leash line. The ststem will release and depower with several twists in the centre lines. 8)

b) Is it as easy to grab/find the top release (especially when launching the kite) as a normal release closer to your harness?

:idea: Yes it is just as easy, you just need to retrain your brain move your hand to the bar, instead of to your spreader bar for a snap shackle or other type of release we have all been using until this great idea came along :!:

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Mon May 19, 2003 11:05 am

and the whole chcicken loop is on a lightweight spinner so no back line twist problems..

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Wed May 21, 2003 2:42 am

[quote="sq225917"]and the whole chcicken loop is on a lightweight spinner so no back line twist problems..[/quote]

There has been a re-call of the system, it is only temporary and may in fact have been sorted now.
There have been approx 10 trim loop failures, so Flexi have recalled the bar, to have new design trim loops fitted.
No affected kites have been sold in Australia.

vide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vide » Wed May 21, 2003 4:50 am

Steve, do Flexi sell the chicken loop, depower and safety system seperately? I have no desire to give up my brand New Naish bars (which I like) but I'd rather pay for this system than make one myself.

Would it work with the Naish bar, or is the hole too narrow?

DT

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Wed May 21, 2003 5:33 am

[quote="vide"]Steve, do Flexi sell the chicken loop, depower and safety system seperately? I have no desire to give up my brand New Naish bars (which I like) but I'd rather pay for this system than make one myself.

Would it work with the Naish bar, or is the hole too narrow?

DT[/quote]

They will be selling the components of the bar when they catch up with orders, should be in approx 6 weeks.
The hole in the Naish bar is too small for the Flexifoil version to work in.
It would work if you attached a fairlead to a naish bar.

Its a pity Naish use those gromets in the new bars, because when they wear out and we have had to replace them the whole in the bar is actually big enough, but it is not finished smooth enough, to use without using grommets to make the hole smooth enough so that your trim loop does not wear out in one session.

You can be assured I will make an announcement to all the groups, when I have stock. I will also post again when I have news that the trim loop problem is fixed.

The stock Flexi bar is carbon, and very comfy and funtional to use.

Return to “Kitesurfing”