Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Upwind body drag while underpowered? Tips???

Forum for kitesurfers
dt
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Upwind body drag while underpowered? Tips???

Postby dt » Wed May 21, 2003 7:25 am

The other day I had a tough time body dragging upwind while underpowered. Should I have powered up the kite via the strap or worked the kite more? When I am underpowered and riding my board I definitly have to work the kite and sheet in to get upwind.

Usually when I loose my board I am powered up and just sheet out fully and body drag upwind fast enough to get my board no problem. Any advice will be appreciated.

Doug

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Wed May 21, 2003 7:42 am

Hi Doug I agree it's a lot harder underpowered. I sine the kite a little and don't keep it too low in the window because if it catches a lull it'll be in the drink otherwise, when sining I depower on the up stroke and power up a bit on the down. Also keeping forwards body speed is really important because this is what's letting your body act like a centre board. If you stop moving through the water even for an instant the kite will start pulling you straight towards it.

Talking with me mates the other day about this an interesting thing came up. One said that if he was underpowered and the board was close and straight upwind, he just kept the kite at zenith depowered and swam towards the board. I haven't tried this yet but will, sounds a lot quicker than draggin long tacks, which may not be that effective in lightwind.
Jo

mickpilch
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mickpilch » Wed May 21, 2003 9:36 am

Hi Joe, I do the same thing when its light, a few kicks can often gain you just enough ground.

Return to “Kitesurfing”