Forum for kitesurfers
kjelleren
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

More twin tip advice needed

Postby kjelleren » Wed May 21, 2003 9:28 pm

Seems like there is alot more opinion on kites than boards. Got my kites, now am after a new board. I weigh 185 and am sailing in chop and swell. Moderately gusty conditions. I like big air and big moves. Need good upwind performance. I am looking for a board for my Takoon 11.6 and smaller. Currently use my Jarvis, which is fun. Have thought about the Vari, but not sure if 138 or 148 would be the trick. Other boards? How about the Slingshot SX?

Gary

dereck
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: juno beach
Brand Affiliation: TONA

Postby dereck » Thu May 22, 2003 4:36 am

Hi Gary,
I posted some info on the same subject in responce to another member looking for advice in getting a new board. I will post it here as well for your benifit. (sorry for the repitition to the other members that read it already) :roll:

Hope it helps Gary.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
all great advice. But keep in mind that when a company decides to make a production boards they try to make a board that will cover a wide range of riders and conditions. But you have to relies that as you get better at kiting you know what you want more and more..and 'white man can jump '(cool name ) said, a board that works for someone else may not work for you. So if you can talk to a shaper and tell them what you like, your riding style etc... and one of the most important questions I ask is what board were you last using and what you liked and disliked about it, you can get a board that keeps up with you rather than you having to learn how to ride a board that the mag reviews tell you is a good board. Everyone's taste is different, so with the right information the shaper can really produce something to take your riding in the direction you want to go. Have a board to fit your style rather than you having to fit your style to a board that is being mass produced. For example, a shaper can tweak the rail shape for the desired grip you want, increase rocker for better wave riding or flatten out the rocker for bigger jumps. Millimeters here make a big difference. There is no perfect board for everyone, but everyone can have a perfect board form themselves. One of the best things about kiteboarding I think is it's individuality. Don't loose that. Contact you closest shaper and have a talk. The prices are great and the performance is even better. Surfers have been doing it this way for years. Thanks and good luck finding your best ride!
have fun guys
regards,Dereck.
http://www.dereck.com

Gerard
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Gerard » Sat May 24, 2003 5:21 am

Without a doubt...the Underground Wavetray...as you ride in chops and swells...though the wavetray is really an all arounder.

Another option is the Litewave...also an exccelent board.

Go to the undergrounds website and check on the board picker...your weight to wind ratio is there for a board selection.

Gerard
http://www.chicagokiteboarder.com

Return to “Kitesurfing”