Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed May 01, 2002 11:09 pm

is it correct that at lake Neusiedl, Austria, kitesurfing is banned from May-September with exception of the worldcup?

Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Thu May 02, 2002 11:38 am

NO, as far as i know it will be illegal (legislation not final) to start kites from Land except in 3 very tiny launch areas (only one kiter at a time, so not suitable for the masses), rider has to be in the water while launching kite, kite has to be within 5 m from shore while starting.

I RECOMMEND THAT BEGINNERS SHOULD visit a Kitesurfschool and NOT practice on their own - we do not have enough space for any mistake near land - you will loose your kite and or injure someone PLease go to a Kiteschool before practicing on your own !!

The only place where beginners and intermediate riders can ride safely is Podersdorf (3km of shoreline, 2x 30m of kite launching area !! rest is bathing zone and OFF limits for kiters) , the 2 other access areas have only 30m shoreline with trees and marinas next to it and also work only with special wind conditions, launching spots 5-10m wide only - these spots are for TOP RIDERS - This is no joke !

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE we had a hard time negotiating to keep the lake open for kitesurfing, PLEASE GUESTRIDERS dont spoil it for us local riders by doing stupid things (e.g wrapping kitelines around children, swimmers or crashing kites into sunbathers, trees or nature preservation areas) we will get banned from the lake if only one serious accident (people injured) happens - so PLEASE PLEASE STAY in control when visiting - Kiteleashes are strongly recommended due to sharp reeds (Schilf in german) around the Lake which will cut your kite in pieces when lost and /or lots of marinas and sailboats downwind of the riding areas

ALL launch AREAS ARE EXTREMELY NARROW with trees, boats and all sorts of obstacles - NO PLACE FOR ERRORS - so PLEASE PLEASE come here when you are a safe, experienced and responsible Kitesurfer, otherwise learn under supervision of one of the three local schools or practice somewhere else - we dont have the Space for more than 5 people to practice Bodydrags etc.. next to the launching areas - even last year on good summer weekends there were so many kiters at the tiny launching area in podersdorf, that you had to stand in line and wait for your launch slot.

everywhere else you have to walk out (lake is mostly 1.5m deep) 80m from shore and launch your kite out of the water - BUT it is not possible to get to other places (except using a boat) due to a nature preservation area, you are only allowed to enter the Lake on roughly 0.3% of the shoreline, dont try to enter through the nature preservation areas - we have lots of birdwatchers and they will call the national park guard within minutes AND the guards will fine you bigtime (minimum 2000 EUR no joke this is reality !)

Kiters Please behave, follow the Rules or STAY HOME we dont want to loose access to our beloved home kitespot please understand and help us by NOT kiting on Lake Neusiedl untill you are able to safely ride against the wind in all conditions - then you are more then welcome.

I suggest that visiting Kiters always consult the local kiteschools or local pro-kiters for weather and spot advise - wind changes from 3 bf to 8bf can happen within a few minutes, also the wind is sometimes very gusty (i am serious - this is an inland lake not an ocean shore !!)

check the pages from the local kite-safety initiative "kite-info" (in german) Pages are on http://www.psn.at, there you can find links to weather information and other useful resources for kiting on lake neusiedl

Stefan

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Thu May 02, 2002 11:49 am

Hi Stefan,

thanks for the info.
I support your guidelines and demand every guest that you are a GUEST, and stay within the guidelines. Don't mess with the locals and listen to what they have to say. Don't be arrogant nor ignorant towards locals by thinking you are gone in a few days anyway!
You don't want any guest at your local and beloved kitebeach bringing you a ban and then they leave and you stay with the problem of having no kitebeach.

Good suggestion by Stefan to contact the local schools before hitting the water.

Toby

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby murdoc » Thu May 02, 2002 12:11 pm

you'll find the neusiedel - locals @

http://www.kite2fly.com

(forum, german)

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu May 02, 2002 1:35 pm

Hello Stefan,

Good luck, I hope that riders pull together and do things right to maintain your kiteboarding access. It does sound like a technically demanding launch and riding area.

In the recent Safe Kiteboarding Guidelines and in Florida riders new to an area or just visiting are asked to research local conditions, guidelines and restrictions through kiteboarding associations, shops or other riders before going kiteboarding. Some visitors on vaction may not want to deal with this question but I have encountered many to date that are concerned and want to approach things in a positive way.

Something that I am seeing and hearing about in parts of the USA and elsewhere are problems being caused by perfectly capable, experienced riders that choose to ignore responsible kiteboarding practices putting others and access to the sport at risk. Dealing with this issue is particularly challenging to say the least. What has your experience been with this? I would be curious about the observations and solutions that have been tried in other parts of the world.

Rick Iossi

Postby Guest » Thu May 02, 2002 3:28 pm

High Rick,

can't speak for stefan, but I am the guy who runs http://www.psn.at - the site that is refernced by stefan (sorry its an all german site)

You are right - there are some individuals of questionable intelligence out there, but so far we have been relatively lucky here in Austria - due to the fact that in Austria mostly well educated, mostly well situated people from 25 to 35 are into kitesurfing we all try do deal with it in a positive way by simply helping (giving a hand or passing on info) to newcomers and visitors instead of yelling at them - and have a lot of positive response to that approach so far.

Those who are too dumb to listen - well So far nobody made troubles when he/she was approached by a bunch of people wanting to "help" ,-)
- but in a worst case there is no doubt that troublemakers will be warned and then removed with (or without) the help of the beach authorities (called the bademeister here in austria) by the 99% mayority of responsible acting kitesurfers.

One Question: may I upload your safe kiteboarding guidelines to the psn site ?

thks in Advance

Paul

PS: from what I read and hear it seems to be worse in other countries, maybe due to the fact that the typical kitesurfer in countries with Sea access may be younger so security and safety is not such a big concern and it is more important for them to be cool than acting responsible ?

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu May 02, 2002 4:31 pm

Hello Paul,

Please upload the Safe Kiteboarding Guidelines, I hope that they help. It is good that you haven't had serious problems with more experienced riders. It makes things a bit easier to focus on new riders and visitors alone.

I am still trying to understand the phenomena as it appears in Florida and elsewhere for that matter. The individuals in question that I have encountered come from many countries, not just the US, one even from Austria! Education and substantial responsibilities on land don't seem to be consistent indicators of who will and will not cause difficulties. Promoting guidelines and effective peer pressure seems to be the few approaches that may work.

Good luck with stabilizing things at Lake Neusiedl.

Rick Iossi

Postby Guest » Fri May 03, 2002 1:03 am

I agree 100% with Paul, we had some stupid people here too, but there was no problem when we talked to them nicely even when they were trying to made us angry (colerics react all the same when under stress....doesn't matter if they have a kite in the air or sit in a car....)

Key is to stay calm, talk friendly and that 2 or three people after each other with a few minutes space in between talk to the guy or girl (yes we even had mad girls).

If he/she does still not beahave after that then simply don't start his kite, or dont land his kite, or if he's out and putting everyone in danger (e.g. not giving way not knowing or not obeying the passing rules) - go out with a bunch of really good riders and cut the sucker off by constantly riding upwind of him so that his kites airflow is blocked by your kite there is no risk for you andyour buddys - but this will start the guy thinking if its wise to mess with the locals and the local safety rules - but this method is the last reserve only did it once with guy that meant he can cut off everyone...

So there are a lot of ways especially in an area where you have to launch in a certain tight spot, so the guy knows he will have to deal with some very pissed riders ,-)

by the way do you know the name of the austrian guy who behaved bad - so maybe we can give him "the talk" ?

Have Fun and try the nice talking approach - always worked so far

stefan

Benedicte
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Benedicte » Sun May 19, 2002 10:42 am

Or check out http:\www.kitesurfing.at for local info about Austria and Neusiedler See.

Benedicte

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sun May 19, 2002 10:56 am

Is it the Benedicte I met at Lake Neusiedl with the cute dog?

Greetings
Toby

Return to “Kitesurfing”