Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cape Town - Langebaan - June - Howzit!

Forum for kitesurfers
Mo
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The KiteHouse _ North Marina _ Liban Nord
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan, Ras Sudr
Style: Freestyle
Gear: DTK Mono 2020 15m, 2020 Mono 11m, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 Rebel SLS 10m, 2021 Neo SLS 9m, 2020 Dice 9m, 2022 Dice 8m, 2022 Dice 7m, 2022 Neo SLS 5m
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Cape Town - Langebaan - June - Howzit!

Postby Mo » Wed May 28, 2003 7:59 am

Hey guys,

I'll be in Cape Town b/w June 12 and 16 and planning to go to Langebaan for the weekend. I know that it'll be winter but will be there any kiters during this period? Anybody who will be there at the same period? I don't like to Kite in the lagoon alone!!!!

I've been there during summer and it was great. I don't know if Cape Sport Centre stays open during winter.

Any info on water temperatures also in winter.

Advice appreciated.

Ciao,
Mo

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby MissionMan » Wed May 28, 2003 8:12 am

Its definitely open during winter. The kiting isn't as great as summer, but there still should be plenty of people kiting if the wind is up.

Water temp is cold, but not too bad. You can get away with a 4/3 (4mm body, 3mm arms) neil pryde rubberised wetsuit or something similar.

Mo
Frequent Poster
Gear: DTK Mono 2020 15m, 2020 Mono 11m, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 Rebel SLS 10m, 2021 Neo SLS 9m, 2020 Dice 9m, 2022 Dice 8m, 2022 Dice 7m, 2022 Neo SLS 5m

Postby Mo » Wed May 28, 2003 9:10 am

Thanks MM.

Do u advise staying at the hotel or at the rooms just next to CSC that they rent... are these safe!!

Ciao,
Mo

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Wed May 28, 2003 9:22 am

My advice is to mail cape sports centre and ask them. I have been down there but I don't live there. I am sure they would be happy to help you out, and could probably give better advice than me.

Alternatively, mail one of the other suppliers in Cape Town like Cabrinha if you want a second opinion (info@cabrinha.co.za) but in all honesty, I don't see them lying to anyone from overseas about the safety of certain places.

The euro's etc coming to Cape Town bring in a lot of business for the kitesurfing industry there, so they generally advise the guys correctly on the best places to stay, places to avoid, where not to go at night etc so they can enjoy repeat business when the guys come back again.

Olaf
Rare Poster

Postby Olaf » Wed May 28, 2003 6:41 pm

Hi Moe

If you are taking the Flight to Cape Town You might as well go to Namibia Walvis Bay.
It has go more wind and is a bit warmer at that time of year and the flight is almost the same. Check out the web site http://www.free-air.net and write to Juergen. If you need any more info pleas contact me

Olaf
:lol:

Mo
Frequent Poster

Postby Mo » Thu May 29, 2003 8:33 am

Olaf wrote:Hi Moe

If you are taking the Flight to Cape Town You might as well go to Namibia Walvis Bay.
It has go more wind and is a bit warmer at that time of year and the flight is almost the same. Check out the web site http://www.free-air.net and write to Juergen. If you need any more info pleas contact me

Olaf
:lol:
Thanks Olaf,

Will check on the opportunity. Yet, I have some biz to do in Cape Town so it's a must to pass by there.

Ciao,
Mo

gipseysurfer
Frequent Poster

bring your rain gear

Postby gipseysurfer » Sat May 31, 2003 1:28 am

unfortunately cape town has a mediterannean climate, which translates into rain.the clasic south easter that prevails in the summer months has quite a bit of thermal component. the wind direction in winter is out of the north and not as clean as the south easter.

on the kitesurf.co.za site they cover an interesting spot at brandvlei.
this is about 2 hours drive out of capetown which by american or euo standards is not an excessive sacrifice for a quick fix.good luck.
that site also has an online bulletin board that could provide you more info.

barry

Return to “Kitesurfing”