Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

RRD Supertype

Forum for kitesurfers
Royce
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Royce » Mon May 20, 2002 2:06 pm

Just a quick report. The new Supertype is incredible. From intermediate to advaced all our riders here have loved them. Awesome improvement in hang-time and incredibly fast turning for waves. Huge jumps, steady power, amazing wind range. Go try them, you too will be sad to go back to your other kite. The 4.1 is also awesome. Battens and smaller bladders make the kite even faster and more powerful than last years. Great durability again and even better performance. Hard to believe they made an even better kite. Laters.

R

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon May 20, 2002 11:58 pm

Hi Royce,

can you report fluttering at the back edge of the Supertypes while flying?

Toby

coxy
Rare Poster

Postby coxy » Tue May 21, 2002 8:13 am

Hi Toby !

I think that they may have sorted this problem by including a dacron re-inforcement between the cut away sections on the trailing edge.

I have used the 12 and 16 pretty extesively now and have not noticed any 'flutter' at all!

Cheers!

Coxy

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue May 21, 2002 8:31 am

good news Coxy!
Thx.
Didn't expect it to not be improved by RRD!
But I saw it myself at the WC at Lake Neusiedl, and it fluttered! And since I heard it before, I was curious, if all kites are like this now.
But good that they improved it, since I heard that the Supertype has a grea performance. Didn't fly it myself yet.

Toby

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Tue May 21, 2002 11:40 am

Hey Toby. There is no flutter on the kite. It doesn't look like the prototypes in the mags. Yesterday was really windy, like 25-30k and this kite was radical. No problem holding my 12m. The amazing thing was the distance and the height. I have a great little practice spot over a reef where its flat for the launch then gets deep fast for the landing but yeaterday I was going so far that more than once I started wondering when or if I was going to land. Really really radical kite, unbeleivable hang time. Only complaint I had was when it came the front lines were way out of tune, so it took a few minutes of tuning to get them right. Well worth it.
Aloha R.

coxy
Rare Poster

Postby coxy » Tue May 21, 2002 12:12 pm

Hello Royce!

Perhaps you can help me with this? I have the 12 and the 16 Supertypes, and as you have said mine were also way out of tune!!

I think that I have managed to sort the small one ok, but I am still having trouble with the 16. In very light winds, say 11knts the kite can fold and stall when climbing up through the window after a dive before dropping and powering up again.

It has been suggested that this is because the back lines are pulling too tight or because the kite is such a high Ar.

I would be interested to hear what you think as I am the only person who uses these kites around my area.

I have to agree with you though, the kite does kick ass, and out performs everything else that I have seen or used. I wonder how it will compare to the X2????

Cheers

Coxy

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue May 21, 2002 12:24 pm

I fly the X2 and I know what Royce is talking about. Great lift and hangtime!
You just fly and wonder if you'll come down again!
So the Supertype and the X2 will be very similar, but I will try to test it same time as the X2.
Royce, which size do you use?

Toby

Postby Guest » Tue May 21, 2002 12:44 pm

hey coxy

if you dont already know this, when the kite is backing down/stalling in light winds sheet out. Dans been flying his 14 RRD super type in 8-10 knots with no problems.

Time in the air is increased heaps with high AR kites John was out yeasterday in 10-12 knots on the 14 ST and he was getting tripple fowards in due to the extra glide/hang time.

I have got the 12 and absolutly love it heaps better preformance than last years 4's

shane

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Tue May 21, 2002 2:32 pm

When the kite flies backwards it is a sign that the front lines are too long. I set my kites up for a little overpowered riding with the sweet spot or full power at the point where if I am unhooked the kite is at full power with the loop on the bar. I also have a couple of tricks that need the power to be about the middle of the loop so with the depower range on this kite I adjust the strap so it is about half way pulled at full power as described above. Then for tricks where I want the bar in the middle of the loop I let out on the strap moving my sweet spot out on the loop. If I come unhooked from the chicken loop or pull the bar completely towards me then the kite will fly backwards and actually when it flies forward in this situation it has less power. I think my 16m kite has the front lines about and inch shorter than the back lines. Hope that helps. HAvn't flown the X2 yet. But the 8/10/12/14/16 and 18 supers are killer.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Royce on 2002-05-21 15:33 ]</font>

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue May 21, 2002 2:43 pm