Forum for kitesurfers
sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby sq225917 » Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:34 am

missionman, place your first finger inside your mouth pulling at your cheek whilst making goldfish noises.......

you seem to neglect the rest of the message, the ironywas that people are all saying this is the new thing, like its any different to anything else we've been doing on boards with kites and boats.
everyone is hunting out the next big thing and willing to accept anything as evidence of a sea change in kitesurfing, its not, its all part of kitesurfing.

geddit, its all kitsurfing we can do what we want, including this.....

lighten up guys, perhaps i should save the pathos for face to face

kiteantigua.com
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kiteantigua.com » Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:32 pm

last years loosers get together to develop a new sport after having their arses totally kicked on both tours by one rider who was totally in command on his kite and the skills required to score points........
this was from an actual slingshot rep?
classic!
WOW.

FLYMAN
Medium Poster

UK aggro guy

Postby FLYMAN » Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:11 pm

yeah, it rather looks like a Naish press release.

Mickey mouse
Medium Poster

Postby Mickey mouse » Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:38 pm

I reserved my opinion until after I saw the video.

So I agree that the sliders and kickers are a novelty but lets be honest here it's not looking very stylish. Snowboarders take the kickers and sliders with style, it's smooth and pleasing to the spectators, no such thing with the kiteboarders. The kicker doesn't launch them very high ( so why not pull the trigger? ) and they all seem to come off it not fully under control. Don't even get me started on the slider. What's next, how about a big trampoline in the water, you jump and then rejump from the trampoline!?!

Windsurfing went through a short misguided period were they would built a slider somewhere in Hawaii, and yes it got those people on the cover of some mags, but fortunately it went away quick.

Don't get me wrong I like the wake style kiting and, especially if you have a nice slick, why not build a nice flat water slick to do the wake tricks?

I have the same problem with handle passes, the wake guy's seem to pull them off with style but the way some of the other guy are performing them is just not right, it's not fluid or smooth ( except maybe for Aron Hadlow but that's not a handle pass it something completely different ).
I think the problem is that the judges give this move to many points making it "THE" move to do if you want to win a competition. ( check out the PKRA website a slim chance scores way more than anything else ).

So yeah it's a novelt, but lets hope it's not the future of kiteboarding and please make it go away.

PH
Medium Poster

Postby PH » Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:23 pm

:o
...just to add something..
Nobody told anyone that we did not have nuch wind in the comp and everybody was on 14/17+ kites.

No wander we did not get much air, but to do kiteloops with handlepass of the kicker with a huge kite was very impressive.
Aloha

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:48 pm

PH wrote::o
...just to add something..
Nobody told anyone that we did not have nuch wind in the comp and everybody was on 14/17+ kites.

No wander we did not get much air, but to do kiteloops with handlepass of the kicker with a huge kite was very impressive.
Aloha
Good point. Here are the ikitesurf.com windgraphs for Ropes/Oleander very near that part of Corpus Christi Bay during two of the main days of the competition:

Saturday, 5-24-03

Sunday, 5-25-03

The riders managed very well, considering the relatively moderate wind. If the winds were in the mid to high twenty mph range or stronger, the results would have been truly astonishing. As it was, they were merely very impressive! As they say, skill shows.

The competitors were a well rounded set of watermen. Including wave, wakestyle and freestyle riders. It is interesting to note that Anke specializes in wave riding and in fact won the recent Wadell Competition famous for waves. Anke also threw a lot of moves off of the kicker. I believe similar comments could be made about Dana Pinto. Certainly the male competitors represent a wide cross-section of riding backgrounds including some well recognized leaders in the sport that have been guiding evolution of kiteboarding for some time. The one thing a fair assessment of the collective talents at this comptetion would have difficulty in doing would be to type cast them under a single style of riding, aside from "very good."

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:51 pm

GOD, thats it i'm trading the irony in for something you guys understand.

sheesh... :thumb:

FLYMAN
Medium Poster

Postby FLYMAN » Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:15 am

sq: I will sell my slingshot kite thanks to you! Now I hate it!! You are the perfect anti-seller

MadMick
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MadMick » Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:48 am

FLYMAN wrote:sq: I will sell my slingshot kite thanks to you! Now I hate it!! You are the perfect anti-seller
Yes,this SQ character seems to have a nasty streak !!!

Cockney lad
Medium Poster

Postby Cockney lad » Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:24 am

Well, i've always thought SQ was a bit of a tosser, but selling your kite just because of what he said is fucking lame. If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

Return to “Kitesurfing”