All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 11:59 pm 
Medium Poster

Quote:
I know I am prolly going to catch a world of shit for saying this, but someone has got to do it. Kiteboarding is boring!

So you don't like kickers and sliders huh? Well, they never were my thing either. I always viewed them as debris on the water. However, how long do you think you can have fun dangling around underneath a set of kitelines? Spinning, flipping, twisting....Believe it or not, once you have thoroughly mastered it all, it can become boring. Look for big name windsurfers to cross over to kiteboarding and love the shit out of it for a few years while they master it, only to give it up and go back to windsurfing one day.

Wow, I actually think that you are right. I have been kitesurfing for nearly three years after windsurfing for like 16 years. When i started kitesurfing i only windsurfed at a few comps for the first year then totally stopped. I went windsurfing this week for the first time in ages. It was actually fun! I couldn't believe it. Went cruising for a few miles and loved it. I think i am bored a little with kitesurfing. I haven't tried Andre's slider or handle passes but maybe thats cus i am getting tired of breaking bones. Am i getting old? Probable. Anyway, once Andre makes a safer looking kicker or slider then i may try it. We'll see. Good point though. eli

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 6:38 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Thanks Johny for sticking up for me!

I was quite shocked at the response I got!

Didn't mean any harm,just a knee jerk reaction to the over the top,orgasmic reports being posted. "The best ever!! The future of kiting!!

Wakestyle rules!! Future shock!!

Just thought I would try and balance things out a bit,with a different point of veiw.

It was most probably really good fun.

I just prefer the soul style. Cruisin and flying with just the power of the wind and waves. NO JERK SKIS.

Peace and lerv

Post subject: jetski=redneck?
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 8:02 pm 
Medium Poster

That's cool, mad mick> I think is good to have different styles in different places. I think it would be a bad idea to put sliders in Wadell, but in texas (and any other dead flat water spot) it was a good idea.
I used to hate jet skis in the past, but they helped to surf the biggest waves in the world and that's is great to me. They no neccesarily mean texas wakeboarders-rednecks. Or you think that Laird Hamilton is a redneck too? He rides jetskis, and he is the paradigm of a soul surfer to me.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 10:09 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Ok

point taken

Laird IS soul surfing! Or rather waterman.

have you seen his website? it has a shot of him kitesurfing with a huge flat kite,like a stunt kite,c quad?

Anyway,obviously jetskis have their place. Friend of mine was rescued by one recently,by a lifeguard. He broke a line way out the back,like a mile out!

What I was refering to was the use of jetskis to retrieve lost kites,which were being dropped trying to do wakeboard tricks like handle passes.

Apparently there were six of them buzzing around!

If you stuff up a handle pass while wakeboarding,you fall in,thats it.

If you stuff it up while kiting,without a leash,you lose your kite.This can cause all kinds of problems.
So,if this is the "Future" of kiting,what will happen at your local spot?

Lost kites drifting downwind,tangles,innocent beachgoers getting hurt?
Jetskis buzzing around ??

Are these comp organisers trying to say that you need jetskis at a kite comp?

As I said before,and it is ONLY my opinion,kitesurfing is not wakeboarding.

If you want the gas fumes and the noise,tow behind a boat.

Post subject: Re: MAD MICK
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 10:18 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

PH wrote:
:evil:
Mad Mick?
wgo the F&$"* are you.
Shut up and don't post anything if you don't like it.
Seems to me you are "THE best kiter in the world", right?
If so, you should know:
SHUT UP!
bye bye now, you idiot. :bye:

Yeah! Real nice response Fabio.

You should shutup maybe!

Just had a look at the video of,well,you.

Hope you don't take this the wrong way,but:

The 9 year old European girl in the recent video posted here,can kite WAY better than you!!

Whats with the yellow pants?did you forget to take your clothes off?

The last time I saw pants like that was at the Gay Mardis Gras !

bye bye total idiot :bye:

Last edited by MadMick on Sat May 31, 2003 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 3:11 am 
Medium Poster

Hey Mad Mick

The reason there were six jet skis out there is because a few were for the windsurfing safety and some for the kiteboarding event. At times both events were running. We also used the jet skiis at times to get the riders back their boards quickly so we could have a real contest and not watch people chase their board their entire heat.

Out of the whole contest I saw only 4 instances of a kite getting tossed. There was only one rider that went off the kicker, one was in out law and he didn't go off the kicker, another in the pro division again not off the kicker, and the fourth was in the womens when two of the ladies got their kites tangled up. Kites were not being hucked one after the other off the kicker as it seems you think. The Jet skis only had to retrieve a kite once because it was headed for the breakwall where it would have been shredded.

If you see some guy booting off a kicker and letting his kite run away towards a crowd or something like that, let him know how bad he's messing up, if he does it again make sure one of his lines is somehow mysteriously shorter. All but one of the guys who hit the kicker this weekend had a leash on their kite. And if you see some guys on your beach setting up a kikcer to do some handle passes tell them how smart it would be to have some sort of leash. It would not only increase their riding time but make sure they can come back and hit it again tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:45 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

There are a few dozen other photos plus some recent additions that I shot of the kiteboarding competition at the Velocity Games at:

http://kitewindsurf.com/

There will also be more article posted here with LOTS of images, once I can manage to process them and pull some rider particulars together!

Good winds!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:01 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

obviously just looking for a fight here...

but shouldn't the title read ........

last years loosers get together to develop a new sport after having their arses totally kicked on both tours by one rider who was totally in command on his kite and the skills required to score points........

or maybe, dump all that boring shit with board offs and poncy tricks get together with some mates and hurl yourselves off shit......

seems to me just like a group of people putting on a comp for themselves to enjoy having fun playing with new stuff and showing people tricks at a level that they understand, plenty of wakers in the crowd, yes. if it had been a different crowd i'm sure it would have been a different comp, surf for surfers maybe, whats the big deal, its not the next big thing, nothing is, its just something in addition...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:09 pm 
Frequent Poster

Johnny TBKS wrote:
I also agree that a few of you are trying like hell to turn this thread into a flaming piece of shit. Nice try...but NO CIGAR!

ITS A BOY !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:13 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Quote:
obviously just looking for a fight here...

but shouldn't the title read ........

last years loosers get together to develop a new sport after having their arses totally kicked on both tours by one rider who was totally in command on his kite and the skills required to score points........

Sorry, SQ, I've always had the utmost respect for you but I have never read a crock of shit like that in my life. Have you looked to see who is heading the rankings? as far as I know VARI is actually at the top.

On the wave front, he still came second at Wadell creek which shows he is capable of performing on both wake and waves.

Before you start dissing some of these guys, maybe you should consider who you are dissing.

[ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next