Forum for kitesurfers
Nayone
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

setting up kite retail business

Postby Nayone » Thu May 29, 2003 9:53 am

I wanted to set a shop up online but it seems that most wholesale suppliers will not sell to a company that does not have a retail premises with a pre bought amount of stock in tow is this normal ?

any advice would be great

Alex

& there used to be a retail section on this forum but I can't find it so apologies if this is in the wrong category

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Wetstuff » Thu May 29, 2003 1:06 pm

Alex: Probably the only way you're going to pull this off is to be a sub-dealer for someone who's had to buy too much inventory for a small market. The other fairly obvious option is to buy 2002 inventory from shops to make it go away for them.

.....considering that - there may already be too much inventory in the market. We don't get production numbers like cars made in Detroit or Hanover, but when you see dealers still advertising 2002 goods when they should be considering clearance of 2003 merchandise in six weeks (us Northern hemi folks...) .....and other signs like; brands like PL not seemingly be able to find a U.S. distributor.....you may be fortunate not to be able to "invest" in the kite market.

......I got one for you: make plywood blanks so those of us who'd like to surf a 'homie' don't have to screw around with layup, jigs for concaves, steaming flip-tips, etc. Hell, 95% of all surfboards are pre-shaped by Clark when you buy the blank. The shaper does his specific details, label, glassing...but hardest work has already been done. I'll bet someone who's in the skate business who comes onto kites, will have his deck manufacturer will pick up on this...

......I've been thinking about this one for a bit. Most skate decks come from Taiwain..but Argentina or Brazil would be perfect for this because of the beautiful woods available there and the similar low costs of production... Hmmmmmm...

Anyway, get your hands dirty - have fun.

Jim

Return to “Kitesurfing”