Bar Pressure

Forum for kitesurfers
ed257
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Bar Pressure

Postby ed257 » Thu May 29, 2003 5:52 pm

I am a beginner and read in this forum that kites vary in how much bar pressure they require. It seems that the pressure on the bar must be proportional to the lift being generated by the kite. I don't see how two kites that are the same size and similar wind range could require very different bar pressure.

Could someone explain? Is there some other factor that I am not considering. What are the plusses and minuses of kites that require more or less bar pressure?

Ed

theflyingtinman
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bar Pressure

Postby theflyingtinman » Thu May 29, 2003 7:49 pm

ed257 wrote:I am a beginner and read in this forum that kites vary in how much bar pressure they require. It seems that the pressure on the bar must be proportional to the lift being generated by the kite. ...
Ed
When riders talk about "bar pressure" on kites they are talking about the force required to sheet in and out and/or steer the kite when hooked into the chicken loop. The shape of the kite and positioning of the pigtails will dictate how much of the kite's lift is directed through the front lines (and ultimately to the harness) and how much is directed through the rear lines (and ultimately onto the bar) This balance can vary very significantly from kite to kite, resulting in widely differing "bar pressures"

High bar pressure can be tiring on the arms (especially on long sessions) but some riders prefer it as it gives more feedback from the kite.

Steve T.

Clarko
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Bar Pressure

Postby Clarko » Thu May 29, 2003 9:20 pm

Could anyone elaborate on the advantages and disadvantages of a totally pressureless bar system, like the Flysurfer Warrior has? As I've just bought one (haven't flown it yet) and am wondering if it's generally considered to be a good thing or not.

Clarko

Return to “Kitesurfing”