Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

DaKine harness fix.

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Sat May 25, 2002 12:53 am

As a newbie - without information like this forum - I was sold a DaKine 'Surf Seat' last Fall. It's really comfortable and converts from seat to waist harness...is styled well...but it has a few short commings - like some crap construction.

After the third wearing, I had to re-sew the leg straps. And the plastic buckle was something a product liablity lawyer would like. It's the thing that was perhaps actually dangerous about this harness.

I looked for a simple metal buckle, but none were available in Stainless. I tried a better plastic one (shown) - No Go. You could actually hear the webbing slip out.

The solution was actually simple; a double D-ring. I can pull it quite tight because I am pulling back toward the center, not away. I've even played 'Swiss mountain boy' by swinging from a tree in it to make sure it would hold well.

I'm pleased I didn't have to chuck it out. I have the advantage of having all the machines and materials, but any canvas or shoe shop could duplicate the results. ...but then you're smarter than to buy any of this shite, eh?

Have fun - be safe.

Jim

Postby Guest » Sun May 26, 2002 1:33 am

I took my F-ARC today in light winds and the harness fix worked great. I won't really know - 'till it blows. However, I did find another problem.

This harness has a 'power belt' that is about 5" wide and is elastic and velcro. It seems to be made to squeeze your stomach so your chest looks larger.

I don't know if it was internal gas, or I stuck out my stomach rather than my chest, but the bugger came un-done in the water and the whole rig got real flaky rising up toward my chest.

I will sew some velcro on top of the velcro which should keep it in place. ...more merde.

Jim

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun May 26, 2002 12:02 pm

Hi Jim,

If something like this happens and the sew open, you can bring it back to your dealer and ask for replacement.
Dakine had some problems with sews last year, but the 2002 models have been improved with better and tougher sewings.
Well, they've learned their lesson...

But sometimes the straps get worn out. I had to replace mine from my old harness.
But now I use the seat and with the way the hook and th steel is attched to the closing points, it doesn't tear appart by usage.
(hard to explain...but maybe you get what I mean)

Cheers
Toby

Postby Guest » Mon May 27, 2002 12:08 am

Ja - I saw a newer one in Califorina a few weeks ago and it looked a lot stronger than this one. It had metal hooks that held the spreader. I suspect this Surf Seat was already 'old inventory'.

Part of the reason I like to complain is that it gives me internal permission to fiddle and hopefully fix something.

Hell, I've changed things on a Mercedes, so I'm not isolating DaKine for a drubbing. I'm sure they make better one's now - too bad they didn't make this one even 'good'.

Jim

BlueSky
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BlueSky » Mon May 27, 2002 11:25 am

Hi we have 2 Da Kine seat harnesses.

One very old simple cheap windsurf Da Kine, which has these plastic buckles also. Never had problems. Very Strong. Great harness

Recently bought the Da Kine Fusion, but after 5 times use have problems with one of the small buckles on the legstraps. Strange!
With some a little force the buckle opens up.

Than I end up with a neck harness instead of a seat...

Solution might be using tie-rips to close it forever and just step in.

Return to “Kitesurfing”