Another reel leash injury

Forum for kitesurfers
YngvaiMalmsteve
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Another reel leash injury

Postby YngvaiMalmsteve » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:27 pm

I've never used a board leash. Body dragging upwind isn't very difficult at all.

Boardhedz
Rare Poster

Postby Boardhedz » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:22 am

Hi,

I always read leash related posts with interest because I have used an Oceanus Reel Leash since beginning, 18 months ago, mainly for convenience initially.

However, I sail at a location which has fairly mushy waves and chop and so in the event of a wipe-out your board could be upwind, or could have been pushed down wind by a wave, and could be difficult to see amongst the mushy waves, there is also a side shore current, dependant upon tide state, which has pushed boards several miles along the coast in a matter of hours; so I have continued to use the leash for convenience and fear of losing my board.

But I have modified the way in which my leash connects to the board and would welcome any constructive comments or advice, as I am very safety conscious; I always use an impact vest and helmet.

I have discarded the bungee loop that connects to the board and connected a small stainless steel karabiner type clip to the board using some webbing and the fin screw, see attached photo; I have also removed the small brass clip from the leash and connected several cable / zip ties to the end of the leash to provide a weak link, one of which I connect to the karabiner clip on the board.
071127 (45).jpg
Therefore, in theory the cable tie will break in a major wipe-out (which has happened when I was learning and did the superman, so it does break when loaded) and no brass “bullet” clip if the cable tie breaks under load as the Karabiner is attached to the board so all that you get coming back at you is the leash and a couple of cable ties; but for the majority of simple falls you can gently pull the board to you and off you go without dragging around wondering where the board is, up wind, down wind, can’t see it in the small choppy waves etc.

Please tell me if I’m missing something, as I don’t want an injury!

afflatus
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby afflatus » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:08 am

No biggie until...

Such time as you catch a line in that beanner.

Then it will all be crystal clear.

I have a reel leash in my gear bag, but I only use it for night kiting and those times when I go out in winds I shouldn't , winds that I can't count on, dying wind,

Ultra light wind like 8 gusting to 11.

I have a big C kite I reverse launch, and if I stuff the nose and come out of my straps and the wind dies, I'm just super fucked without my board...

Don't abuse that tool or yourself...

And Ps. you need that bungee, I have two one on each end to absorb sudden shocks...plus they break and if that beanner or the stock HEAVY brass clip come back at you going mach shnell...

you'll be plenty sorry...

forget that thing, it's for special occasions only

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:03 am

Like so many other people, I am not a fan of leashes of any description except in rare, ideally controlled circumstances. So, I would say to go with one the Ocean Rodeo gadgets if you need more visibility and a mechanism to help bring the board downwind to you.

If you stick with the system you are using, accepting the higher risk, I would recommend changing out that soft clip. I don't think kiters should use these at all at any location while kiteboarding. It can accidentally capture kite line if your kite goes down. If it relaunches things can get out of hand. Perhaps replace it with a regular lockable carabiner or something with similar function. A soft clip contributed to a kiter fatality in South Africa. More about that tragic accident at: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2333383&hilit=+looping" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:09 am

If you decide to stick with that open gated snap shackle, then at least do one of many possible modifications to it as described here:

http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1& ... hilit=lock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:10 am

I hope you read the one where a woman got the reel leash wrapped around one end of the bar, released the kite and still got dragged by the board leash. She needed a Q/R to get rid of the leash, but did not have one.
The GoJoe seems the safest solution. At least you are sure the board will be downwind and it will make it easier to see, especially when you are into the smaller whitewater.
You could make a floating leash out of 4mm polyester rope inside 6mm low density polyethylene tubing. If you make it at least 30' long, the chances of your board hitting you are very small, especially if you use the cable tie fuse. Use a Q/R where you connect it to your harness. I tried several leash ideas and I think you would find the GoJoe is the better idea.

Boardhedz
Rare Poster

Postby Boardhedz » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:59 pm

Hi,

thanks for pointing out the downfalls of the Karabiner type attachment, I will carry out the mods suggested, not only that, I think I'll use the leash less frequently now

but you have got me thinking about the gated snap shackle / Karabiner type attachment and the possibility of catching lines in it, as I have an Ozone kite leash which has one at each end; especially considering the incident pointed out by Rick, the Ozone leash is very similar to the one pictured, I think I will go back to my GK kite leash!

I suppose that you cannot rule out all possibilities as a line could always get caught in your harness somewhere or footstraps of the board, but eliminating the number of potential snags must increase your level of safety

thanks again for the benefit of experience!

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:27 am

kitezilla wrote:If you decide to stick with that open gated snap shackle, then at least do one of many possible modifications to it as described here:

http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1& ... hilit=lock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have been using Kitezillas tube sliding on the gate method for years commercial fishing in Alaska and it NEVER failed to keep line out of the carabiners. It is much easier to work with than locking snaps. In an emergency there was no time to twist off the locking mechanism. The key is to have just enough friction to be able to slide it on the gate but not enough to let it slip on its own. I have used clear plastic hose and garden hoses depending on the application. It is also an inexpensive fix, which is half the beauty.

sharoniex
Rare Poster

Postby sharoniex » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:21 am

Marketing for personal injury laywers and attorneys, how to market your practice ?
I am a personal injury lawyer currently working for a company, but I am interested in starting my own practice, how should I go about marketing my personal injury practice ?
Last edited by sharoniex on Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:32 am