All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:55 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

tonycp wrote:
Steve, I agree that this seems like a nice way to go - like the powder leashes for skis that don't tie on to your leg (because of similar dangers) but have devices to make them float on the top of the snow.

I think that your idea could be _combined_ with a reel leash, so that this eergency system kicks in only if there is so much pull that the reel leash would otherwise be dangerous.

Tony

As you replied I was editing in such an idea

Steve T.

Post subject: Time for helmets and DITCH board leashes ...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:13 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I just came across a serious account about a leash related injury on ikitesurf.com. The post follows:

"I was just seriously hurt using a leash. Here are some thoughts for you:

1. I will NEVER use a leash again! When I recover and am able to start riding again, the FIRST thing I will be doing is learning how to up-wind body drag so that I can retreive my board

2. I used a real-leash. The longer the leash, the more potential energy you can load into it.

3. In my case I was riding at Crissy one week ago with a leash and no helmet. (VERY STUPID). I caught my toe-side edge in a transition and the board leash loaded up and then I was struck in the back of the head with a force that can best be described by the results:

a) Severe laceration, skull fracture and serious concussion.
b) 9 staples in skull.
c) one night stay in Intensive Care Unit of hospital.
d) 3-days of repeated vomitting due to post concussion recovery process.
e) 1-week before I could hold down solid food and get off the couch to do anything other than go to the bathroom.
f) impaired vision due to location of injury on my head. Doctor says this should clear up just fine in a few months.
g) lots of headaches and an inability to focus my eyes enough to either read or watch TV. (Try being laid up for a week and not being able to watch TV without giving yourself a splitting headache... the boredom is enough to kill you!

It will now be at least 1-month before I can windsurf or kiteboard again. This will be done with a helmut and without a board leash.

Eric G. "

Heal fast Eric and thanks for passing along your very hard won lesson. Some of the rest of us have gone through severe concussion symptoms, they are no fun at all. This is the THIRD account in about a week in which the rider either concluded full time helmet use was a must going forward or were saved from more serious injury because they were wearing a helmet. None of these guys have decided to wear a helmet because they use a board leash. They want the helmets to protect against potential impact with other objects.

Post subject: Re: Time for helmets and DITCH board leashes ...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:09 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Quote:
"RickI" forwarded:
I used a real-leash...

I assume he means reel leash. I'd like to know whether it was the Reel Leash, or the "Surf Nut" reel leash (which reportedly is prone to jamming).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:24 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Another accident report from ikitesurf.com follows:

"I got 4 stitches in my head through a Pro Tec helmet because of using a Reel leash. Think of it this way. Even though it expands when necessary under normal conditions if you're wiping out and crashing really hard and fast the impact is so sudden that the leash has no time to uncoil and effectively acts like a fixed short leash causing the board to hit you really hard and do some serious damage (as in my case). This might not always happen, but you should ditch the leash before it does. If you want you can keep the leash attached to your harness, but not the board in case your gear breaks and there's a long swim to shore. Hope this helps.

Good luck, and be safe.

-Gene"

From: http://www.iwindsurf.com/threadForum.iw ... startrow=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:42 pm 
Well,

Crap, I have to admit to using a reel-leash at times because I'm lazy,
I can b-drag just fine but if I'm not jumping and just free sailing I use the leash for convience,,,Hm,,

The other day when I ate it big time I had the leash on and was lucky not to have been wacked I guess?

So yeah If you are going to jump make sure not to have a leash (reminder to self)

I think the leash is good practise in light air, the board is handy to have and can help you re-launch.

There have been times I'm sure I could not have re-launched without my board to use as a platform to finesse my big ass kite to fly.

Yeah,, it's your call, I think the reel leash is a useful tool but not if your going to be skying,,,,you should not use it then by any means.

NO blanket statements apply to everything,

The reel leash is good and bad,,,,use your head and your all your other tools

There is a time and place for everything...
fokiten

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:55 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I use a short piece of bungee on the board with my reel leash. I use thinner than standard bungee, looped and knotted. It has snapped a couple of times in big wipeouts so my board has never fired back at me. This, I think, is the way to use it - with a weak link. I wear a helmet anyway, and will do long after the leash has gone.

I have found the leash invaluable while learning - I've spent so much more time learning to kitesurf rather than practicing body dragging upwind. Those early stages normally involve ditching the board before you water start because the kite's gone astray or falling off at low speed.

I'm still going to use mine for a bit longer. Once I'm jumping it'll go, but I'm sure I'll still use it to clip to my board while relaunching the kite, body dragging out, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:02 pm 
Medium Poster

Fo's right. I also was kiting in wind when without my board I would have not been able to relaunch. As a beginner I found the leash very usefull, but in bigger wind also dangerous. Got hit on the head once. I was lucky not to get a serious injury. In lighter wind I never had any trouble wich doesn't mean I will not have it in the future. So I just stopped using a leash. Loosing my board ten times is still better than spending some days in hospital once...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:13 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

i'm experienced enough not to benefit from having any board leash, but i see board leashes as simply another piece of rope to get tangled in or recoil an object into a part of you body softer than the missle on the other end.

as soon as you can ride upwind learn to drag upwind, ditch the leash and ride safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:21 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

a good friend of mine had a situation in where the bronze leash clip from a reel leash snapped under tension, rocketing the remaining piece of metal into his leg. It was a very small, very deep cut that went a few inches into his calf and took a few stitches. Could have been a lot worse though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:31 pm 
sq225917 wrote:
i'm experienced enough not to benefit from having any board leash, but i see board leashes as simply another piece of rope to get tangled in or recoil an object into a part of you body softer than the missle on the other end.

as soon as you can ride upwind learn to drag upwind, ditch the leash and ride safe.

Those sound like famous last words:

I must say that using a leash as a beginner is not a great idea,,
you must learn to drag upwind right away

And

It's raw child that flung through the sky mostly,,,

so no, learn upwind and gain control first.

I'd say the only good time to secure your board is in over the top survival kiting (I'm damn glad to have it then) and light non-jumping but just easy cruisng wind, night kiting ,,,yeah baby :wink:

Other than that no leach is the only way.

(reminder to self)

fokiten

[ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next