All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: My first waveboard - How to choose one?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:33 am 
Medium Poster

I decided to purchase a wave-kite-board but have no idea how to choose one.
Looking for a board with the following characteristics:
1. Will "survive" me as a beginner with kite-wave-riding :-)
2. Good for low winds with by B3 size 11 (I am 75kg)
3. It would really great if I will be able to use it for regular wave riding (without the foot straps)

I guess size and width are important. But what should they be? What else?

Is it true that starting with foot straps is easier?

Can you recommend specific models/types?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: My first waveboard - How to choose one?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:56 am 
Very Frequent Poster

mossi wrote:
I decided to purchase a wave-kite-board but have no idea how to choose one.
Looking for a board with the following characteristics:
1. Will "survive" me as a beginner with kite-wave-riding :-)
2. Good for low winds with by B3 size 11 (I am 75kg)
3. It would really great if I will be able to use it for regular wave riding (without the foot straps)

I guess size and width are important. But what should they be? What else?

Is it true that starting with foot straps is easier?

Can you recommend specific models/types?

You've got to do some more research. In general I think a modern fish would suit you 5'8'' Naish Fish ( http://www.naishkites.com ) is a good place to start.
1. Most boards will survive your wave riding pretty easily. No really problem if you stay with kite-surf-boards...if you go to regular surfboard, stay away from polyester boards...
2. For low wind you need some width..wider tail lower rocker...BUT do not go too wide or it becomes hard to control when you get a little power and speed...it is a fine balance act. Modern fish shapes like a swallow tail...maybe a quad fin setup.
3. if you by that mean regular surfing, then have you surfed before? If not then forget it and get two boards....unless you want to use a long ass time trying to regular surf a board you can only use in super light winds...otherwise you could try the global 6'2'' super good for anything wind / wave related strapped / strapless...at your weight you can surf it too...

RE; starting with footstraps. Personally I think it is better to start with footstraps..but there are people who disagree...you've gotta find out what you think and go for that...if you go with a bigger board then fine it doesn't matter as much. I started strapless....

I think it is good to at least have the option put on straps......

oh and for the fish I am assuming you are not talking about big waves...ideal for upto slgiyhtly overhead...waves can be sloppy as hell...for the global you can go to double overhead me thinks...

Post subject: Re: My first waveboard - How to choose one?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:36 pm 
Rare Poster

You will really struggle surfing on a the same board as you kite. Like taut says, you'd be much better off getting two boards or you will end up with a board too big to kite and too small to surf.

In terms of getting a board you will keep, again it's difficult. If you really get into the wave riding you will probably want to change/add to your quiver until you find what's right for you.

Enough saying it's too difficult to answer - you won't go too far wrong with something around 6' x 18.5" to 19" wide at your weight. I would go for a board with inserts for footstraps to give you the option.

I started on a small strapped board, but only really learn't to ride a surfboard properly when i went strapless, and wish i'd started that way. If you are going to start strapless, go to a flat water spot first - trying to get to grips with a strapless board, learn how to gybe, and cope with waves can be too much, and put you off or push you back to your twin tip :nono:

Good luck!

[ 3 posts ]