Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Lou Wainman & Competitions

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Lou Wainman & Competitions

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:35 am

In the latest issue of "Kiteworld" Lou discusses his feelings re comps.

He says he doesn't like competing because he has to sit around on the beach and wait for his heat.

He also says that comps "would be better served by racing, jumping over piers, doing crazy Evil Knievel stuff or just pulling massive air. The current style based contests are like figure skating. Like all free riders, I think kiteboarding should be about going up against mother nature rather than points."

"Comps don't showcase kiting's potential." "Comps don't showcase each riders' individuality either."

What a load of BS.

The so-called "soul" riders use other such New-Age-at-one-with-nature-and-the-ocean aphorisms to justify the fact that they can't cut it in competition.

All so-called soul riders, to a man, are falling off the pace.

The crucible of competition brings out the best in riders, it forces us to push harder and harder to attain the next level. There is NOTHING that the so-called soul riders (like Lou) can do that the likes of Martin Vari can't comrehensively do, and do much better. A 30' Vari Slim chance kite loop landing blind is something that NO co-called soul rider would ever do, because they are not pushed to do it. The crazy mosh-pit of competitions forces us to excel; meanwhile the "soul" riders fester in their oneness with the ocean and work on their next 3' kgb.

Competitions showcase the best. Comps inspire the best. New Age oneness-with-the-ocean Soul riders are no longer on the cutting edge, most simply can't cut it in the big league.

Long live competition! Rock on.

S>H

MadMick
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby MadMick » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:06 am

I think that Lou speaks for about 20,000 kiters who don't compete,and don't care to.Also many don't care who wins comps.

Some people have an unhealthy obsession with "dick tricks" and "wakestyle" tricks.

their "hero" wins a comp,it's all "So and so leads the way.Future of kiting,etc,etc"

OR "Brand X kite wins comp.Beats everything.Future of kiting,etc etc ,bleeding etc!!!!!

Some people just dont like comps,and can't perform under those situations.But when freeriding,perform better than anybody.

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:15 am

I also saw the article by Mark Shinn on the way comps are going. He says that some of the riders are doing stuff to that is too out of reach of the average rider.

I don't mean to sound funny here, but that sounds like sour grapes (considering he came 7th in the comp they had listed there). I thought comps were ALL about doing the hardest tricks, otherwise whats the point.

BigSmelly
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BigSmelly » Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:10 am

Live and let live. Make the most out of your own life and stop whinning about how Lou says this, cause he can't do that, and he doesn't make the cut, etc etc... Who gives a shit who competes, who says what about competitions and who pulls off the most insane tricks. If you were half as good as Lou is, you would not be so frustrated, and would not take his statements, or life so seriously. Grow up. Get a life.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:31 am

to be honest i don't give a shit who rides or wins what comps or what they ride and how, it is just so far away from informing my riding in any way at all that the whole comp scene is irrelevant to me in just such a huge way.

now franz olry, cutting the big waves up and expressing himself, that gets me....

but the comp scene does run the risk of moving so far away from an average riders expectations that we see it as no longer being relevant.

Stan
Medium Poster

Postby Stan » Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:05 pm

Comp's SUCK!

They are hardly a test of a rider's skill, they are a test of their ability to shove their board up their arse as far as they can. Comps don't provide any real insight into the sport or further it in any way. The majority of riders aren't proud they invented the newest board off, they don't ever do them except for in comps.

So many riders spring to mind in this case but the most obvious one is Ben Wilson. That guy goes out and rips the biggest board offs and goes awesome in comps, but when he's freeriding he never does them and just fully pays them out.

This is a guy who's dominating them. He just doesn't seem to give a shit.

So many people enjoy keeping up with comp news and thats healthy for the world scene and the sport, but they aren't the ultimate thing. The main positive from comps is spreading the sport to new places, this can be achieved better just by tours and stuff. Congratulations to the guy's who do go out and kick arse in comps, they are at the top of the sport, but they aren't the only ones.

kookfest
Medium Poster

Postby kookfest » Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:56 pm

MissionMan wrote:I also saw the article by Mark Shinn on the way comps are going. He says that some of the riders are doing stuff to that is too out of reach of the average rider.

I don't mean to sound funny here, but that sounds like sour grapes (considering he came 7th in the comp they had listed there). I thought comps were ALL about doing the hardest tricks, otherwise whats the point.
I agree. It DOES sound like sour grapes. So what if the pros are doing stuff that is out of reach of the weekend rider - you can still respect them for what they do, much in the same way you can respect a pro footballer for what they do, while knowing you could never come close to matching them on the field.

If the hardest tricks involve 30' handle passes and kiteloops, so be it. If Shinny can't match it with Vari in technical excellence, so be it, maybe top spots should go to those who can.

I don't care if I can never do what the pros can do - but I love having my mind blown when I watch them in action.

C'mon Shinny, get those handle passes nailed!

kookfest
Medium Poster

Postby kookfest » Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:00 pm

sq225917 wrote:now franz olry, cutting the big waves up and expressing himself, that gets me....
What is this shit about "expressing" yourself while riding. I've heard the term used a lot.... what a joke. It's like you're making kitesurfing out to be some great artistic pursuit where you express your passion and tortured poetic soul while getting pulled along by a kite.

We ride boards towed by kites and, depending on technical expertise and experience, ride at varying levels of competence. To call this "artistic expression" is a WANK.

kookfest
Medium Poster

Postby kookfest » Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:27 pm

Comps aren't perfect. But ALL riders with any talent can fit their moves to the comp format.

If you want to seen pure technical excellence in kitesurfing - the best moves and the best tricks, comps are the only way to go.

I get the impression that "soul" riders use the term as an excuse - to themselves and to others, to excuse the fact that they can't cut it in the big league.

All the well known "soul" riders are sponsored, to a varying degree. In essence, they are all "pro" riders. If you're going to be a "pro" rider, you should be able to match it with other pros and prove it in competition.

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:06 pm

Comps are comps, and all sports need them. The freestyle format has its own problems in ALL sports (board, bike, skate, sail, etc). It is in the human nature want to know who is the best. A competition gives you that. The winner is not the best overall as the comp is helded between a reduced "elite" group. The commercial and promotional aspects of comps are good for the sport too.

I like Low style, I like Martin's too.

Return to “Kitesurfing”