Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Riding Offshore

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Riding Offshore

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:37 pm

How many of you kitesurf in offshore or side-off conditions? Does anyone have any tips for doing it more safely? I am a beginner/intermediate and I used to windsurf in offshore conditions all the time with no problems, but I have been reluctant to do kitesurfing in offshore conditions until I get better. I would welcome any advise. Seems that if you can stay upwind and can swim your kite in that it may not be too risky. In some respects it may be safer than in on-shore winds. For example, no chance of getting lofted up on the beach.

Ed

macca
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby macca » Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:38 pm

I go out in cross shore and some times cross off its not to off. The biggest problem is if you drop your kite or have a failure, its a long swim in. Even cross, I'm not to happy going far out as I belive it will be very difficult swimming any distance with a board and kite, against the wind and may be current. There is a lot of drag on your gear and you will soon get tired.

If I know I will be blown on to land with out any input from me all is well, if not, dont go out far(hard to stick to) dont try any fancy stuff far out in case you drop the kite. I have a good chance of relaunching my med + small kites. Big kite, wont even think about any off shore winds as its a pig to relaunch. So common sense and knowing your gear is a factor but off shore winds should be a NO go, unless you have a rescue boat on stand by.

Return to “Kitesurfing”