Impact protection

forum for kitesurfers

jever98
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jever98 » Thu Jun 06, 2002 3:52 pm

Doesnt look bad. I will check how fast they can deliver. Thanks for the advice

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jever98 on 2002-06-06 16:52 ]</font>

jever98
Frequent Poster

Postby jever98 » Thu Jun 06, 2002 3:59 pm

Done. Let's hope it's good. I will tell you when I come back!

Fabjet1
Frequent Poster

Postby Fabjet1 » Fri Jun 07, 2002 1:42 pm

hey Guys,

It looks as this vest is very bulky, and how do U deal with your harness in this case?
I'm looking for an impact vest too, but less bulky, where putting the harness is no problem.
Any kite specific impact vest?
Any US distributors?

Thks, Good wind...

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Fri Jun 07, 2002 1:45 pm

what do you mean? did you try this vest?

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Jun 07, 2002 2:41 pm

You are right, not all impact vests readily accomodate a harness, particularly if the rider is of average height. Some of the cumerband vest types like Bump and Jump's design don't come down far at all and leave room for a harness.

http://bumpandjump.com/prod/detail.php? ... t=kitesurf

I ended up going with an extra large Rip Curl, ladies impact vest over a year ago. It is built the same as a guys vest but doesn't come down so far at all. I have always worn seat harnesses so no problem there. With a waist harness I think I would be out of luck as far as wearing an impact vest. So in addition to the odd fractured rib, I would also have back problems from the waist harness. Harness choice is a personal preference!

Rick Iossi

Geronymous
Medium Poster

Postby Geronymous » Fri Jun 07, 2002 4:33 pm

I do have such a Gun Impact Vest, and the harness is not an issue at all, at least if it is a seat-harness.

My experience with this vest is good so far, haven't had any troubles with it (I have used it about 10 times). I don't know up to what extent it will protect from very big crashes, as it is pretty soft. But in any case it is very light, and not so thick.

jever98
Frequent Poster

Postby jever98 » Fri Jun 07, 2002 6:02 pm

I have bought the Gun vest, too, but if you are not bothered about money, the Neil Pryde Impact 5000 looks very good, too.
Rick, will a vest that doesn't come down far have enough protection?

TheRob
Medium Poster

Postby TheRob » Fri Jun 07, 2002 8:05 pm

wouldn't a waist harness protect your ribs a bit? it goes right over most of them.
later,
rob

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Jun 07, 2002 9:02 pm

I have two waist harnesses but haven't used them much as they set my back off. I have no problems with seat harnesses so I really can't comment much on the impact protection provided by waist harnesses. With my setup, where the impact vest ends, my Fusion harness begins. So the whole torso is protected, although I think most of the necessary protection is over the ribs that are higher up. I have taken some pretty nasty, high speed slams from altitude with the combination and have come out the impacts ok. If you jump out of the harness with your arms stretched out over your head your ribs are ripe for breaking under such conditions. I am lazy and always jump in the harness though.

Rick Iossi

Fabjet1
Frequent Poster

Postby Fabjet1 » Sun Jun 09, 2002 1:38 am

Thks for your answer Rick.
I was able to follow your link to B&J but no prices there. I went to Murrays,com and a lots of accesories there.
Saw 3 impact vest that are pretty thin and where a waist harness will fit over, but need help with your feedback in wich one to choose...
Gul's 120$ seemed the bulkiest but probably the most protective.
AirRush 79$ looks pretty thin and well priced.
Bump & Jump 99$ also good and this one comes with a line knife.

So if any of you guys have some experience with wearing a waist harness on top of them, or even better can compare one from another you'll make my day...

Aparently as we jump higher litle accidents start to happen..and I think there are a lots of kiter that are now interested by those impact vests.
In PR couple of my friends have cracked ribs, and for myself I lost concienseness after landing on my right side from pretty high, knocked the wind out of me , could not inhale anymore, passed out, starting swallowing water, woke me up, and came back to myself not understanding why I was in the midle of the water, when I thought I was in my bed dreaming....
Pretty wacky but that's what happenned and I really need to protect myself..
I'll bet it will happen again but this time I'll have the vest...

Latter, and thks for the input...

Fabjet.

Return to “Kitesurfing”