How to make line extensions???

Forum for kitesurfers
dt
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How to make line extensions???

Postby dt » Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:52 am

I want to cut 6M off my 28M Q-Power lines and so that I can use 22M lines for wave riding and attach the 6M lines on pure jump days or when underpowered on my 16M. I am wondering what the best way is to attach the two sets of lines. My favorite idea so far is to take a short piece of leader line and tie a half hitch on both ends and just larks head to that. Does anyone have a better idea? Should I use a short piece of 600lb Q-Power line instead?

I weigh 70Kg, fly R1's, ride a 130cm homemade wavetray, was raised a catholic but now I am not sure and I drive a van. Somedays I am a kook and somedays I rule.

DT

decay
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Muizenburg, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Ruakaka River Mouth
Style: ALL
Gear: Stuff I design
Brand Affiliation: Lacuna CTO

Postby decay » Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:43 am

I use the method you describe - a short piece of rope with a knot at each end - to connect 12m extensions onto my 20m wave riding lines.

I do it this way as I sometimes use the 12m lines on there own in very high wind conditions.

If your extensions would never be used on their own then you can put a knot on one end and larks head your main lines onto that.

Decay

Mike B
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Mike B » Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:04 am

Anytime you put a knot into a none stretch line like spectra, it weaken's it. Reason being is that in a nylon stretch rope the fibers will stretch and take up the loading across the the rope within the knot. The spectra non stretch line's will not stretch so there's only part of the fibers in the knot that are under load, hence the line will be weaker because your not loading all the fibers.
Getting a full set of line's is probably the best choice but it will work fine the other way also. Just be safe. Flysurfer uses line's that are ended with a sleevede loop that is just as strong as the whole line, no knot. Try http://www.flysurfer-usa.com and see if you can get a set. They come in 5m,10m and 15m I think. Or just sleeve, knot, lark's head them together and have fun. Just something to think about before you go jump 20ft in shallow water.

dt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby dt » Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:43 pm

Mike,

What you said about knots weakening lines is true for spectra and rope in general but Q-Power lines are sleaved from end to end and can be knotted according to the manufacturer. Those that use it make loops for larksheads on both ends using half hitches or figure eight knots and they hold up great. By the way, Q-Power doesn't stretch and resists tangles so I highly recommend it.

Doug

Return to “Kitesurfing”