Rigging error causes serious accident

Forum for kitesurfers
MadMick
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby MadMick » Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:42 am

I read Fokithens rigging method several times,but can not understand it!

One thing really puzzles me.

If you can make a mistake rigging the front lines to the back,or,vice versa with a regular rigging method,why can't you do the same when connecting the lines first,as in Fock's method?

theflyingtinman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby theflyingtinman » Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:50 am

RickI wrote: I try not to analyze what a helmet might or might not do in the critical milliseconds of an impact. ...
... You either wear it and hope for the best if things hit the fan while practicing a great deal of hazard avoidance that kiteboarding demands the rest of the time...
I don't think there's anything wrong with making a healthy assesment of the limitations of your 'safety gear'. If you make a reasonable assesment you are then better prepared to make the decision about your ultimate course of action ... you basically have three choices.
1) Accept the risks and continue kiting as you always have.
2) Reduce the risks by taking additional precautions (mechanical, procedural or behavioral) if possible.
3) Recognize that the risk is more than you are willing to accept and give up kitesurfing.

Whatever decision you make, if it is made on incorrect or insufficient information about your equpiment and procedures it is likely to be a bad decision.

Steve T.

theflyingtinman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby theflyingtinman » Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:04 am

MadMick wrote:I read Fokithens rigging method several times,but can not understand it!

If you can make a mistake rigging the front lines to the back,or,vice versa with a regular rigging method,why can't you do the same when connecting the lines first,as in Fock's method?
I think the assumption is that when you start walking out the rear lines from the bar you can see that you are picking up rear lines because they are attached to the ends of the bar. Then when you finish walking the rear lines out at the kite you can see that they are not yet connected. If one or both are connected to the kite then you got it wrong.

It's a decent method but far from foolproof ("foolproof" systems are just catalysts for the evolution of bigger and better fools ;) )

Steve T.

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:10 am

MadMick wrote:I read Fokithens rigging method several times,but can not understand it!

Hi moke,
My explaination must be somehow un-clear, sorry.
My method of attaching the front lines>>>> ONLY<<<<<<, prevents font back line switching thusly:
If you attach the backlines to the front pigs, when you unwind the bar and pick up a back line in each hand #1 you will not be able to pull them free(they are already attached to the kite) do you see now?

#2 if they do not require untwisting and you continue freely, onwards to the kite BAMO your mistake is right in your face e.g. you are forced to acknowlge that fact!!!!!!>>> you have been caught by your own error <<<<<
and saved yourself, that is if you are smarter than your kite.
THAT's how moke.
fo

Hi RickI, we all see WHAT you are avoiding in this thread.
no one is unaware now.
shame.

fokiten

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:20 am

theflyingtinman wrote:

I think the assumption is that when you start walking out the rear lines from the bar you can see that you are picking up rear lines because they are attached to the ends of the bar. Then when you finish walking the rear lines out at the kite you can see that they are not yet connected. If one or both are connected to the kite then you got it wrong.

It's a decent method but far from foolproof ("foolproof" systems are just catalysts for the evolution of bigger and better fools ;) )

Steve T.
Nice work Steve,,
You got it right, This little thing this itty bitty fact would have saved more than a few people from being crippled for life or dead,,,
the other benifit is that you have only two lines left unchecked!!! in your hand<<<< walked clear from the BAR>> and>> if<< you have them marked a instant (bar upside down check) It is far and away the best system yet,,,Add the male female things to the rear pigs,,,And you are now STATE OF THE ART,,,STEVE explain this to rickI he's got some problems,,,
we need him on board
fokiten

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:46 am

Hi Fokiten
I have read your posts for a while now on your rigging method, I am amazed at your attitude about it, but before commenting, just wanted to be very clear that I understand what you say.
That is actually a hint for you to slow down and either make a drawing and post it, ot have a mate read your explanation before you post it here, to see if it is clear?

Do you unwind your lines downwind of you kite? Do you have to remember to turn the bar over before launch, with your method?
Why is it not possible to have a distraction occur, and connect your lines with a twist between top/front and bottom/rear lines?

fokiten wrote:

Hi moke,
My explaination must be somehow un-clear, sorry.
My method of attaching the front lines>>>> ONLY<<<<<<, prevents font back line switching thusly:
If you attach the backlines to the front pigs, when you unwind the bar and pick up a back line in each hand #1 you will not be able to pull them free(they are already attached to the kite) do you see now?

#2 if they do not require untwisting and you continue freely, onwards to the kite BAMO your mistake is right in your face e.g. you are forced to acknowlge that fact!!!!!!>>> you have been caught by your own error <<<<<
and saved yourself, that is if you are smarter than your kite.
THAT's how moke.
fo

Hi RickI, we all see WHAT you are avoiding in this thread.
no one is unaware now.
shame.

fokiten

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:56 pm

[quote="kitepower"]Hi Fokiten
I have read your posts for a while now on your rigging method, I am amazed at your attitude about it, but before commenting, just wanted to be very clear that I understand what you say.
That is actually a hint for you to slow down and either make a drawing and post it, ot have a mate read your explanation before you post it here, to see if it is clear?

Do you unwind your lines downwind of you kite? Do you have to remember to turn the bar over before launch, with your method?
Why is it not possible to have a distraction occur, and connect your lines with a twist between top/front and bottom/rear lines?

(you are an Idiot)
no explanation will help you go fucking jiggle,,

Hey Im ammazzed( not really) that you need a picture?
I recall telling you that I prffer YOU jiggle fucking line for ever,,, so no pic's for you go fucking jiggle>>> kitepower

for the rest of you If your bar is wrongway up your left hand will hold the right line and vise versa, So to cross the rear lines you would have to physically step over your mistake to make your second mistake I sure you are capable of this Kitepower so go fucking jiggle

No need to unwind down wind, just skip that BS, no need to unwind upwind, just skip that BS no need to jiggle just skip that BS,,
You Steve are stuck you must jiggle and I am fucking laughing about it,
Sweet hey any Pics??
fokiten

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:27 am

fokiten wrote:
kitepower wrote:Hi Fokiten

(you are an Idiot)
no explanation will help you go fucking jiggle,,

Hey Im ammazzed( not really) that you need a picture?
I recall telling you that I prffer YOU jiggle fucking line for ever,,, so no pic's for you go fucking jiggle>>> kitepower

for the rest of you If your bar is wrongway up your left hand will hold the right line and vise versa, So to cross the rear lines you would have to physically step over your mistake to make your second mistake I sure you are capable of this Kitepower so go fucking jiggle

No need to unwind down wind, just skip that BS, no need to unwind upwind, just skip that BS no need to jiggle just skip that BS,,
You Steve are stuck you must jiggle and I am fucking laughing about it,
Sweet hey any Pics??
fokiten
Thanks Fokiten, I know I am an idiot! :lol:

Now we will see if you are one?

WTF does what you wrote above mean? Don't you understand that your mesages of help, are really unclear, leading to people either ignoring you, or maybe your method could be contributing to accidents?
And then there is your amazingly aggressive attitude, do you really think that helps too?

You unwind using your "method" downwind of your kite, and have to remember to turn over your bar before launch, don't you?

If that is the case, you are an promoting a really dumb "method"

That method, regardless of different coloured bar ends, lines, has caused a lot of serious accidents something I thought you really loathed?

For the rest of us jiggling idiots, rig upwind of your kite, check everything twice, colour code everything.

Get lessons from IKO Instructors, avoid big ego instructors that tell you they teach people to kite!

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:15 am

Thanks Fokiten, I know I am an idiot!

WTF does what you wrote above mean? Don't you understand that your mesages of help, are really unclear, leading to people either ignoring you, or maybe your method could be contributing to accidents?
And then there is your amazingly aggressive attitude, do you really think that helps too?

You unwind using your "method" downwind of your kite, and have to remember to turn over your bar before launch, don't you?

If that is the case, you are an promoting a really dumb "method"

That method, regardless of different coloured bar ends, lines, has caused a lot of serious accidents something I thought you really loathed?

For the rest of us jiggling idiots, rig upwind of your kite, check everything twice, colour code everything.

Get lessons from IKO Instructors, avoid big ego instructors that tell you they teach people to kite![/quote]
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

You're crackin me up Steve,,
Damn,, Sheezz,, Damn,,
Ok, Sheez,, Ok,,Damn,, Ok,,Whooo, howdey,,Damn,, you are a real piece of work,,Damn,,

Steve,
It's like this,,,you have your back lines marked,,red and green the front lines are the ones that are not marked,,if it's red,,,it's a back line,,,if it's grren it's a backline,,OK???

Damn,, whoooo howdey,,ok
Steve listen,
,unwrap side wind, thrown down the bar either way, up /down whatever way,,pick up one back line in each hand and walk to the kite,,do not spin in cirlces,,just walk them to the kite,,when you get there look at your kite then down at your hands,,see if the colors are correct,,,if they are you have suceeded without any effort

,,,if they are not right go back turn your bar over pick up a backline in each hand and walk to the kite again,,,

Are they right this time????,

,,if not go back and keep doing this,,, until they come out right,,,,If you would like to save some time (50/50) maybe put the bar face down to start with,,,

Well,,,f*** me you are a laugh a minute,,,

Go ahead post again I can use the entertainment,, Damn dude, SHeez,
fo

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:41 am

Steve,
one more thing,,

You are a kite instructor,, people pay you for advice

They PAY YOU FOR THE BEST ADVICE YOU CAN GIVE

you have spent several post trying to knock me (the method)down,,