Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Surf/Hybrid - RRD Toxic Wave, OR Mako King

Forum for kitesurfers
adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Surf/Hybrid - RRD Toxic Wave, OR Mako King

Postby adamj2281 » Thu May 13, 2010 4:02 pm

Ok, I'm itching for another board, mainly just to try something different and maybe stronger in light wind.. I'm 6'0, 185 lbs, and I already have a OR Mako 140 as my all-around board.

I'm looking for something to ease into a directional, or I may just go straight into a directional. I would like to have something that's a bit snappier in waves, but that I don't have to worry with gybing. So I've demo'd the OR Mako King, but I haven't got a real good feel for it as it was setup mutant regular and I'm goofy footed.

So I'm wondering about the RRD Toxic Wave, looks like a fun board, with more snap than the King.

Any suggestions or reviews on the Toxic Wave?

insener
Medium Poster
Gear: Liquid Force
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Surf/Hybrid - RRD Toxic Wave, OR Mako King

Postby insener » Thu May 13, 2010 11:04 pm

Take quad surfboard, they are easy and fun to ride in waves;)

transcanadatom
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Spray Lakes
Favorite Beaches: Keho, Spray Lakes in the Winter
Style: Cruiser
Gear: 2009 Eclipse Nano 7/9/11m, 2009 Thruster 14m, Crazyfly Cruiser

Postby transcanadatom » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:28 pm

I also have a mako 140 and the King, great boards but also like you I wanted something for the swell waves we get so I chose the RRD Toxic Wave 148/42. I tracked a new one down and got it for $250.00 new! For that price and to add something unique to the quiver it was a no brainer, having a big quiver just adds to the options available on any given day!

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:38 pm

I have the King, had the 140, and am way into the surf side of the sport now. There is no substitute for a real surfboard IMO.

The 140 was a good jumping/chop board for me but required a lot of kite power and was too small to "surf". So I got the King. Right off the bat I noticed great planability in TT mode. In Mutant it was not "right". It had a lot of drag on the tail and required much more kite power to get it going. Also the back foot placement was too far forward of the 3 back fins. So turning wasn't "surf" like.

Then I tried the King strapless with the deck pad and it was way better but hard to gybe on, but doable. Also kind of small as a "surfboard". I went back to TT mode and that board is my GO TO for crazy shore break and rough conditions when you want to be strapped in. It also has a good "lightwindability" when in TT mode. Surfing is better than smaller TT's but still the stance (TT) is not right for surfing.

The King also is a great one board quiver for traveling since it's every kind of board. No one thing is great but it does it all. Even jumps OK.

A true surfboard with straps is my vote for you. Like the North Whip/Epic 5'7"/Cabrinha Skillet. These are slightly larger to allow good flotation. Once you ride a wave with a surfboard nothing else will cut it for me...

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:52 pm

markchatwin wrote:I have the King, had the 140, and am way into the surf side of the sport now. There is no substitute for a real surfboard IMO.

The 140 was a good jumping/chop board for me but required a lot of kite power and was too small to "surf". So I got the King. Right off the bat I noticed great planability in TT mode. In Mutant it was not "right". It had a lot of drag on the tail and required much more kite power to get it going. Also the back foot placement was too far forward of the 3 back fins. So turning wasn't "surf" like.

Then I tried the King strapless with the deck pad and it was way better but hard to gybe on, but doable. Also kind of small as a "surfboard". I went back to TT mode and that board is my GO TO for crazy shore break and rough conditions when you want to be strapped in. It also has a good "lightwindability" when in TT mode. Surfing is better than smaller TT's but still the stance (TT) is not right for surfing.

The King also is a great one board quiver for traveling since it's every kind of board. No one thing is great but it does it all. Even jumps OK.

A true surfboard with straps is my vote for you. Like the North Whip/Epic 5'7"/Cabrinha Skillet. These are slightly larger to allow good flotation. Once you ride a wave with a surfboard nothing else will cut it for me...
Can only agree with Mark !

Also - I dont understand the phrase "you dont want to worry about gybing" ?

It is really easy when you can do it - just like riding a bicycle - the easiest thing, when you CAN.

And apart from that, really fun too.

It seems that the few surf hybrids has lost their appeal, the last years...

Understandable why they at first look so "easy" yes, but experience has shown that most dont like these in the long run, as they are not TT's nor Waveboards :roll:

Just my experience and what I see others experience :wink:

:D Peter

sfpete
Medium Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco Bay area
Style: stayin' alive

Postby sfpete » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:02 am

Peter_Frank wrote: Also - I dont understand the phrase "you dont want to worry about gybing" ?

It is really easy when you can do it - just like riding a bicycle - the easiest thing, when you CAN.
Maybe for you...

Nevertheless, had a Toxic Wave, sold it, now have a TT and two directionals.

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil

Postby windybrit » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:50 am

I too agree with Marks comments, I had the 140 and the King as well........... rode the King Strapless (badly) I think it's tough board to learn on as it lack of "float" made it hard to learn how to gybe, so sold them both. Now I have an Reef ATV quad, Next I need a good free ride TT ......... ;)

Peter_Frank wrote:
markchatwin wrote:I have the King, had the 140, and am way into the surf side of the sport now. There is no substitute for a real surfboard IMO.

Can only agree with Mark !

Also - I dont understand the phrase "you dont want to worry about gybing" ?

And apart from that, really fun too.

It seems that the few surf hybrids has lost their appeal, the last years...

Understandable why they at first look so "easy" yes, but experience has shown that most dont like these in the long run, as they are not TT's nor Waveboards :roll:

Just my experience and what I see others experience :wink:

:D Peter

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:54 am

Yeah two years ago I was debating this, now I ride a mix of strapped/strapless on a directional Litewave Quad. Definitely something to be said for riding a directional over a hybrid.

transcanadatom
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Spray Lakes
Favorite Beaches: Keho, Spray Lakes in the Winter
Style: Cruiser
Gear: 2009 Eclipse Nano 7/9/11m, 2009 Thruster 14m, Crazyfly Cruiser

Postby transcanadatom » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:50 am

I say the more boards in your quiver the better! I love having my King, 140, and now the Toxic Wave down at the beach ready to go depending on wind and conditions and swells/waves, ride at an inland lake with wind swell not in the ocean, although I have not ridden the Toxic Wave, I think it is going to be the perfect board for my very specific location and just add another dimension to kiting on occasion and if it helps me or encourages me to go to a surfboard which is the logical evolution, I will be better prepared because of my time on the TW. I have always ridden my King mutant but a previous poster made a few points about the benefits of the King in TT mode, great plane ability it is true. Litewind, pretty good for sure on the King, maybe not as efficient as a Door, but way way more fun.

Return to “Kitesurfing”