How much pressure?

Forum for kitesurfers
Flea
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Flea » Thu Jun 06, 2002 8:54 pm

Hi, I have an inflatable RRD, but I don't have the original pump. I've had problems restarting the kite, and I suspect its because I don't have enough pressure in the leading edge. How do I know how much pressure to put in? I don't want to damage it. Any suggestions anybody?

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 06, 2002 10:01 pm

which size is it?

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Fri Jun 07, 2002 4:54 am

Most beginners underinflate their kites. An underinflated kite is very difficult to relaunch.

When you tap on the leading edge of an inflated kite with your fingernail, it should make a drum noise like twang.

Another way to tell is rest the kite on one tip with the other tip in the air so that the kite forms a big letter C. The pressure in the leading edge should easily support this C shape of the kite.

Flea
Rare Poster

Postby Flea » Fri Jun 07, 2002 4:35 pm

It's an 11.9 type 4
Basically I want to know if I can damage it by overinflation. How do I know when to stop pumping? When my arms drop off!? :smile:

shunter
Frequent Poster

Postby shunter » Sat Jun 08, 2002 7:45 am

You can pump the RRD's up drum tight with no problems. I have been doing this with my 14.9/11.9 and 8.9 for the last year and have had no problems at all. Just dont leave them blown up that tight on a hot day sitting in the sun on the beach. I always let all the air out of the struts as well if i am going to leave the kite in the car. If you are still slamming the kite into the water it would probally pay not to pump them up super tight. This goes for most kites.

Shane

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 08, 2002 5:25 pm

I had problems with my RRD 11.9m to start with. I tried all sorts of pressures to get it to relaunch, but drum tight is best.
Flip it on its back - drag in one of the leaders to spin a tip towards you - keep it on its back, but tweak to upper tip to give it some movement to the edge keeping hold of the lower leader. Only let go of the lower leader when at the edge - & relaunch.
Easy when you know how.

Flea
Rare Poster

Postby Flea » Sun Jun 09, 2002 11:40 am

Right. As much pressure as I can manage then. Thanks guys.

Return to “Kitesurfing”