Forum for kitesurfers
murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby murdoc » Mon Jun 10, 2002 9:37 am

On 2002-06-08 01:02, phree wrote:
[...] Here on the forum, we should take a closer look at some of our safety proceedures but not in this thread. This thread is for Silke and I offer my moment of silence to honor her.
may jah bless her.

my honest (&sad) regards

murdoc

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 10, 2002 3:09 pm

i met Silke in Cabarete and she was such a bright spirit, always smiling and had such a sparkle in her eye. i pray for her family that they may get through this horrible pain, and for her friends and kite colleagues that they may also endure the pain, learn from the experience and carry on with your love of sport in Silke's memory. God bless
susie

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 10, 2002 4:28 pm

Unfortunately when people don´t think ,someone eventually gets hurt.Last year during the world meet in Rio one of the best riders ( no need to mention his name) let go of his kite just because he lost the heat.Almost killed people and didnot seem to care about the crime he had just commited.Thank God nobody got hurt .Unfortunatelly the same kind of incident is repeated but with tragic consequenses. A great lack of respect to everyone and a crime, lets fly safely so we can ALL fly for years to come. Tell your friends and anybody who is kiting to think safty first than lets have fun.
my condolenses to Silke´s family and friends .

Glideinrio.

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 11, 2002 8:25 am

It has been difficult to bear this most undeserving news...of no fault of hers she took the brunt of some bad folly of someones loose kite...I wish only those having mastered the tricks that risk kite loss perform them in Competition and that those practicing never do upwind of others.(I was lucky to survive the same calamity of anothers loose kite...) I have traveled for 3 years with Silke, one as a co-competitor, 2nd as a Judge on a Tour she followed and this year as a Media Official on the Tour she was following...I was always impressed with her progression and her undaunted spirit in the face of sponsor adversity, she was without drama always and a true Competitor. I will miss her friendly smile, enthusiasm and fun spirit- I will miss watching her set new standards for the Women. Ride the Wind Girl! Peace. Kat

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Jun 11, 2002 8:49 am

Kat, please read this, since this is from an eye-witness.
This situation could have happened to anyone of us.

phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=1243&forum=1&2

But you are right, if a rider let go of his bar doing any trick, it can be as dramatic as what happened.

Toby

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 12, 2002 8:58 am

I wish this was a place for words about Silke from those who new her rather than a debate about safety. I understand it, though. I, however, am too overcome with grief to get involved with that at this point. I am still in utter shock over losing a friend, especially under these circumstances. I am hoping that her friends can use this forum as a way to close the miles between eachother at a time when we are grieving beyond words. If you hadn't had the opportunity to meet Silke, I am so sorry. You missed out on knowing one of the most beautiful, loving, gracious, adorable, remarkable, giving, passionate, smiling, phenomenal human beings I have EVER known. She treated people like we should all aspire to treat people. She lived her days with the passion we should all aspire to have in our lives...and she followed her dreams like we should all aspire to follow our own. She did all of this while being an absolute joy to be around. She set an amazing example for the way to live life to the fullest... while living it graciously. Every picture I have of her, she has a million dollar smile that you just know goes throughout her whole being...and does not just grace her face. It was infectious, and so too was her wonderful, outgoing spirit. That's how I will remember Silke, knowing that her smile and her spirit will live forever with her friends and family. You are and will be missed more than words can ever convey, Silke. May our thoughts be with Silke's family... and may we work together as a community to get through our grief.
aloha--Julie Prochaska

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 12, 2002 9:40 am

Hi Julie,

thank you for your wonderful words.
The way you described her no-one of us can image how you guys feel knowing her personally.
Unfortunately I never talked to her and got to know her closer, which I regret after hearing how nice she was. On the other side this makes it easier for me and all others, to go on with life faster.
We should be more of a community than ever and learn from Silkes's death to ensure to go out and ride wherever and whenever we want to, since it still is a wonderful sport.

Toby

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 13, 2002 11:56 pm

Thanks for the heartfelt words Julie
I met Silke recently whilst competing in europe and in that short time came to know her as a truly genuine person with a well balanced zest for life, always a happy smile and friendly words. Back home in New Zealand I feel the loss but am thankful to have met her. My condolences to her family and friends.
Gavin Broadbent

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 14, 2002 9:43 am

Sorry for Silke, this kind of things should never happen. Maybe this sounds cruel, but I have to find some positive in all things - not meaning that her death would be a positive thing in anyway. If her faith was to die, better this way than in a airplane accident or overrun by a drunk driver. If she would have died in any other way, this discussion wouldn´t exist and most of us wouldn´t even know about her death. For example I... I have never heard of her before. She died doing the thing she loved and in a way that´s an admirable way to go. To show respect to her, I propose for some organisation to arrrange a yearly "The Silke Gorldt Memorials". This could be the German (she was german?) championships in Kiteing that would bear her name. This would be a strong way to make her memory and her story live on for times. xx.000 spectators (?) standing still for a minute from one year to another would really be it. Let´s talk about her and not about safety systems here. It´s allways easy to be smart afterwords. -Jupu-

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 16, 2002 10:57 am

What a terrible accident... :sad:
I send my love to all people who have to deal with this.

Gerdien

Return to “Kitesurfing”