Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

transitions

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

transitions

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:44 am

I allways have the same problem when jumping transitions, and I can't figure out what I do wrong. When jumping in transition I allways lose pressure on my lines in the second half of the jump. This is resulting in me landing like a rock, and the kite coming down and eventually falling. When I'm very powered this is no problem because the wind will keep the kite away from te edge of the powerwindow. I suppose I steer my kite wrong, but I tried everything I could imagine, and still no solution. There is no problem with the kite, others can do whatever they like with my kite and haveno problem.

Any ideas? :?:

Life's a beach

White man can jump!
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby White man can jump! » Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:29 pm

When you kite gets to 12:00 stop pulling on the bar for one second (or even bring it back in the opposite direction just a hair) then pull hard again in the original direction. The harder you pull at the second half, the more your kite will dip into the power instead of staying at the edge of the window.

Good luck

chassan
Frequent Poster

Postby chassan » Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:02 pm

I think I know what's happening to you, although I'm not sure if I can explained it with words.
I think you're jumping ahead of time, so you're doing the classical "landing in the same direction jump", so forcing the kite to do a transition at this point is going to make it stall and eventually fall.
When doing the transition wait for the kite to be at 12 or a little bit over 12, edge hard and jump moving the bar slowly to the opposite direction and as soon as your about to land pull the bar hard for it.

Danijoor
Rare Poster

Postby Danijoor » Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:53 pm

I think the problem can be that you aren't trying to get maximum upwind at the moment that you jump. If you go losing upwind, when you start to jump, you won't jump up, you will jump long. Then you haven't the kite over you, it is rear you and it doesn't hangs. You have to go maximum upwind at the moment you are moving the kite from 10:30 to 12. Then help a little to jump and stop moving the kite. At this moment the kite has to be over you hanging your weight. When you are falling and you are about 1 or 2 meters, start to pull the bar to the other side you were going and try to put it in a power place at the window. Now you start to go to the other direction you were going and have finished the transition. Try it first with no rotation and look the kite all the time. Good luck. :bye:

chassan
Frequent Poster

Postby chassan » Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:14 pm

Danijoor wrote:when you start to jump, you won't jump up, you will jump long.
Those are the words I was looking for :thumb:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:17 pm

You fly the kite back in the other direction too early/fast - thats your problem !

Like others said - either fly the kite straight up at 12 o'clock only - and then in the new direction when coming down.
Thats the easy way.

OR - fly the kite fully back like a normal jump - then forward - and on the way down, fly it aggressively down in the new direction.
This is the difficult way for newcomers - but it results in much higher jumps, for sure :thumb:

If you do like above - you wont get slack lines, and can land the transition with speed.

But it takes a lot of practice of course :roll:

RadE
Rare Poster

transitions

Postby RadE » Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:04 am

Thanks for the info. I'll try to keep the kite still for a moment nexrt time, and whe thats not working I'l try to move it forth and back like suggested in the previous post. I'll let you know what happened, there should be wind by monday. I had a great session yesterday evening, but I didn't check the forum yet. Greetz

RadE
Rare Poster

Postby RadE » Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:07 pm

As simple as is: forget about transitions when you initiate your jump. Just jump as in a normal jump: fly kite back, jump, fly kite forward again and when you start going down think: oh yes, a transition would be nice and yank kite back agian. Works perfect!!
A shame I needed so long to figure this out.
Thanks for the hints!

:bye:

Return to “Kitesurfing”