Forum for kitesurfers
kieran
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kieran » Tue Jun 11, 2002 11:17 am

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me if I am correct in assuming that in the photo of your self-made quick release, the upper most lines connected to the snap shackle are those which are normally connected to the chicken loop, the next line connected to the snap shackle (that is, the line in the middle) is the safety leash (which is normally connected to your harness), the last line (that is the one extending vertically to the bottom of the photo) is not clear to me what this is - can you explain.

Thanks again.

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 11, 2002 11:30 am

the shackle design you are using will not release easily when under an extreme load (e.g. out of control kite dragging you towards rocks) also in such a situation when you really give it a pull to try and release it you will end up opening up the split ring on the release pin, if that happens YOU HAVE NO WAY OF RELEASING THE KITE.

I know this is fact because it happend to me, luckily I had lots of space and was able to remove my whole harness whilst being dragged up the beach before I hit any hard objects

Sean

Robert
Frequent Poster

Postby Robert » Tue Jun 11, 2002 12:07 pm

@anonymous: Thats's why i suggested to use the Wichard Quick Release instead of the shackle!!

@kieran: First of all, the design is not mine but from Johan Drost from the netherlands.

But yes, the upper most lines connected to the snap shackle are those which are normally connected to the chicken loop

The Safety Leash (the one with the plastic clip) is connected to a strong dyneema cord. The designer drilled a small hole in the shackle to do this.

The rubber cord is the one you pull on to activate the shackle and let go of the depower loop. But again do use the quick release from Wichard, as "anonymous" says:"when you really give it a pull to try and release it you will end up opening up the split ring on the release pin, if that happens YOU HAVE NO WAY OF RELEASING THE KITE."

Greetzzz,
Robert

Robert
Frequent Poster

Postby Robert » Tue Jun 11, 2002 1:00 pm

And here i found another one that looks good.

More info:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kitesurf/ ... f/MelMods/

Now we need a serious test team to review all the suggested methods of safety.

Any volunteers?

Greetz,
Robert

Geronymous
Medium Poster

Postby Geronymous » Tue Jun 11, 2002 1:07 pm

Can you please post the picture again (somehow it is not visible), and I cannot access the yahoo link due to company filters... Thanks in advance!

kieran
Rare Poster

Postby kieran » Tue Jun 11, 2002 1:13 pm

many thanks, robert.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil