Hurghada heaven

Forum for kitesurfers
bennyh
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hurghada heaven

Postby bennyh » Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:53 pm

Just want to let you all know that Colona watersports in Hurghada, Egypt have an excellent set up and I'd thouroughly recommend a trip having spent last week there.

The site is suitable for novices through to experienced riders, and the crew are very friendly and helpful. The vibe is far more relaxed than say, Tarifa and you feel part of a group whatever your level. There is a nice international feel to the place too.

The conditions were very good all week and the set up with the sandbar, cross shore winds, air compressor, rescue boat and kite caddies on hand to launch and land really made for a great experience.

It's very cheap to live there - I spent only 100 GBP on room/food/beer all week. My train ticket to Gatwick was 45GBP! The food at the Magawish village is nice but many got diarrhoea - not enough to be out of action though.

I'm going to remember flying out over azure waters for a long time. Thanks to Mike, Magda, Bengan and Miguel.

Ben
Jonny
Tim

Harald S
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Hotels

Postby Harald S » Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:19 pm

Hi Ben
Thanks for your post.
I`m wondering how you found the hotels?
Are they far from the Kite-spot? Which one did you stay in? Taxi?
I hope to go there some time this year.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:21 am

read also this in the travel forum, with pictures and all infos:

phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=12148

bennyh
Medium Poster

Postby bennyh » Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:28 pm

The Magawish village is at the beach - my room about 1 min walk to the kite centre. Taxi from airport 20 - 30 egyptian pounds 15 mins. Toby has the rest of the info above. Others stayed at the Sofitel 15 mins walk away, looks nicer but Magawist is just fine and more convenient.
Have a good one

Djizasse
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Djizasse » Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:25 pm

I've read the Story in the travel section, it seemed very nice, some friends allready went there, but none of them are kitesurfers or even windsurfers.
I was thinking in going there for 2 weeks in September, my level is prety basic, i can jump and land ok, but i haven't mastered any fancy moves, is the spot ok for learning? My girlfriend would go with me and i wanted her to have classes there. Is it really that good?

Mo
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The KiteHouse _ North Marina _ Liban Nord
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan, Ras Sudr
Style: Freestyle
Gear: DTK Mono 2020 15m, 2020 Mono 11m, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 Rebel SLS 10m, 2021 Neo SLS 9m, 2020 Dice 9m, 2022 Dice 8m, 2022 Dice 7m, 2022 Neo SLS 5m
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby Mo » Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:49 pm

I've been there last April for about 8 days. Although npt very lucky with the wind at that time, but yes, it is a very good center.

I would go when I have time definitely.

Ciao,
Mo

bennyh
Medium Poster

Postby bennyh » Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:09 am

Yes, its perfect for learners: sideshore, waist deep for 200m, rescue boat available, all sizes of kite and beginner boards. Being IKO they can't rent gear to learners without lessons. My buddy who had never flown a kite before can now go across the wind in only a week. Intermediates and above can surf the sandbar which is also perfect for perfecting jumps and learning new ones. Check the wind stats on weatheronline before you go. If there's wind you're guaranteed a great time.
Ben

Jordanis3r
Frequent Poster

Postby Jordanis3r » Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:48 pm

i went at the end of may - great place - magawish a bit dodgy imho food wise - stay at the sofitel 5 mins walk up the beach - sorted

bengan has got a great place - top marks and i will deffo be going back towards the end of the year :D

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:11 pm

alex - there is a new spot growing in the red sea.

watch out for my posts soon.

nothing cmmercial yet, just a wicked place.

Jordanis3r
Frequent Poster

Postby Jordanis3r » Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:12 pm

keep us in the loop - u got my email ;)

Return to “Kitesurfing”