All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: What do you guys think of fridge door type boards?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:20 am 
Frequent Poster

By this I mean fat boards with squared ends, such as the eboard chubby and underground fridge door.

From what I've heard there great for flat water, with loads of pop, but not too good in waves.

I personally prefur flat stuff but often find myself is stuff which is reasonably choppy (not waves but not flat). How do these boards ride in these conditions?

Which board is your favorite?

Which is the lightest?

I had a look at the eboard today and I'm very seriously considering getting one.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:19 am 
Frequent Poster

Take a look at http://www.spleene.com and check out "The Door" or "Starter".
Both boards are upwind machines at 6-8 knots, and you can also use them in choppy conditions very well!

Take care
Rainer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:34 pm 
Frequent Poster

You'd be surprised how well they work in the waves .i 've been riding a smorgasboard in waves for 2 years and love it.Just made a woodie proto thats 140 long and 45 wide with tri fins it rocks in the waves in light wind .
Bear in mind that i weigh 95 kgs /I lent it to a mate 60 kg and he had trouble getting the edge in

All the best

Lach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:52 pm 
Rare Poster

i also love my smorgrasboard. short, flat and an large planing area keeps it going. the square tail/tip almost never catches a wave. i mostly ride in choppy conditions.
the weight is not the majorcriterium. robustness and longlivity is more important...
stefan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:24 pm 
Frequent Poster

Forgive my misunderstanding here...

What do you mean by this board never catch a wave?

Is it bad or good?

That it cannot surf at all?
Or any wave would get you out of the board?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:23 pm 
Rare Poster

heres the advantages of a UG fridge door as i see it and why it is the only board i use except my mini- mal. Note there are no disadvantages...
In Light wind it planes super early because of flat base and width/surface area without bouancy. I don't like bouancy in a board since landing jumps (especially transitions or landing hot) the board doesn't go under at all and the impact to the knees and ankles can be shocking. The fridge with little bouancy and more surface area allows you to sink and then hover an ideal amount when landing with little shock. Smaller boards tend to sink too much when the wind is light and when the kite is not timed absolutely perfectly while doing a transition. I also like the larger planing area when it is gusty and the board carries you through the lulls. With the right fins (2.0" RB A-tacs) the fridge can crank up wind better than anything i have used. I always have to fight my way up wind as it is and this combo helps a lot especially in competition trying to stay in the box. At 138 long the fridge is still quite easy to toss around if you want. I still use the fridge in 30 knots and have no trouble out edging the kite since it has ideal rails- not too round not too sharp... which leads me to wave riding. Was out today for a couple of hours in the surf and had an absolute ball. If you don't think it works in waves you have to stop blaming your tools and look to the root of the problem.
What else? Rides very well blind, amazing pop, is the strongest thing ever, is the best board imo to land super hot. (i am known around these parts as one who lands the hottest). I would spent the extra and get a pro carbon if you wanted a lighter, stronger board with faster flex response (more pop) If you are just an intermediate or beginner save the cash you problably won't be able to tell the difference. Don't get a chubby the fridge is 10000 times better. the chubby will break if you land hard and it doesn't have anywhere near as nice of a ride.
Hope this helps - sorry i went on a bit.

Rich Stenning

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:36 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Yeah the widestyle boards rock. Great for gusty winds or in any less than perfect conditions. I have a 146cm plyboard that's quite wide and it has an awesome low end. The rocker is about 3cm and the edges are fairly square. It doesn't go too badly in chop either and rides waves nicely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:16 am 
Frequent Poster

Thanks Richierich for your feedback.

I'm pleased to hear that it works fine in surf.

Anyway there is no doubt that this is the BIG trend!!!

But what about riding in choppy conditions, I mean not on the surf side but when facing the waves.
Otherwise, I'm still wondering why underground is advertising this board as a "flat water" board????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:03 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Hey what's the rocker on the Fridgedoor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 3:46 am 
Very Frequent Poster

BLOWN AWAY wrote:
Hey what's the rocker on the Fridgedoor?

Its fairly flat through the middle, approx 3cm rocker at the tips sitting on a flat surface.
Underground will eventually update their website once production is flowing smotthly again after the fire.

The fridge door was originally designed as a flatter water board, but as we have all discovered, if you have decent sized feet and strong legs, riding them in chop up to 30/35knots is fine.
Keeping the kite lower (6" off the water if necessary) in these conditions helps enormously, only let it rise to jump.

[ 10 posts ]