KITE DOWN and deep water starts TOBY?

Forum for kitesurfers
SKIBUMNCO
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby SKIBUMNCO » Thu May 23, 2002 5:20 pm

Thanks for the reply on my post ADJUSTING MY 8.5 AIRBLAST...
I have not had the excitement of beeing on top of the water but once.. That was when I launched in about 6inches of water from shore. Amazing for my 1st time I got the kite thru the power-zone twice till I ended up falling backwards as I lost power... I went a good 30-40 yards w/ this launch.. That feeling will keep my hopes up to master this..
However my problem now is when in deep water relaunching the kite.. I have no leverage to pull the lines and get the kite back out of the water..Most of the time I was yelling to the wind gods for more wind.. I find with the lines out and semi tight. I'll start to pull my inside lines the kite will raise a tad but the trailing edge acts like its glued to the water.. So I pull more on the inner lines and before I know it the outer lines get under my board and Im cursing up a storm.. So then back to Sqaure one letting the kite get down wind again till the lines are tight...I think most of this might be the lack of wind...
Now if I get the kite up in the same wind however it seems there good pull.. But Im still learning and the kite ends back up in the water...
Now did have a seesion in stronger wind. I found the kite would basically launch when I was not ready..Got to like that but having the board on my feet prior to this just wasnt the case.. I found in the stronger wind body dragging was the thing to do just to get more fill for the kite..
I hope maybe some tips and insites that could help...

SKY HIGH
STEVE

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu May 23, 2002 5:56 pm

Are you using the reverse launch bridle lines still on your kite? If so, I would try to copy what Bruno did in the video that should have come with the kite. At some point the technique should gel for you.

If you aren't using the relaunch bridles, what I do is to pull in on the inner line leader, that is the lines that connect to the leading edge. When I have almost the entire leader length in, I throw the line at the kite. This normally results in the kite flipping on its back. You then pull in on the left or right trailing edge leader lines to steer the kite to the left for right for a conventional side windwindow relaunch.

Rick Iossi

SKIBUMNCO
Medium Poster

Postby SKIBUMNCO » Thu May 23, 2002 6:13 pm

SKIBUMNCO
Medium Poster

Postby SKIBUMNCO » Thu May 23, 2002 6:23 pm

Hello Rick..
Terms are still new to me.. I'm in the 4line set up now.. So yes still use the revers launch bridle... If the leading edge is down I have no problem getting the kire flipped back upright.. Is Bruno the rider on the instructional set up vidio for Wipika? I'll check it out again.. You say a side window launch, hmmm? The kite is always down wind from me... I can see if I get it out of the water keeping it low and flying it to the side window for "s" turns to get it to the top.. I get to the point if I do get it out ill just get dragged as I'll go straight thru power zone.. Then go from there but the struggle to just get it out is what Im fighting now..

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Thu May 23, 2002 7:57 pm

hey there ...

1)
the airblast is a high-performance-kite -> and not really made for beginners, so you might experience a lil harder time while learning but will have a good kite when ur done :wink:

2)
restart ...
if the kite lies downwind, fronttube up, you can pull the depowerlines and 'pump' it out of the water.

if it lies fronttube down, and you got strong winds, just pull the depowerlines hard and let go - this will flip the kite on its back.
now just pull one line (outer lines of the bar) about 2-3m to you (attention not to wrap it around you). the kite starts traveling left (or right) and will start when it's in typical start-position.
this will result in less bodydragging than using the bridles ...

i'd remove them anyway, it gives you more feeling for the kite and the 8.4 is no problem to relaunch the way described.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu May 23, 2002 8:15 pm

if it doesn't flip enough make sure to swim a little towards the kite so it will flip faster.
The kite will only start at the window edges, which means 90 degrees angle from the wind behind you to the left or right. So when flipped over pull the lines somehow (you have to figure out where) so it will move to the 90 degree angle. Always watch the kite while you are pulling the lines so it doesn't start suddenly with your fingers in the lines! When it is moving to the edge you have to get back to the bar and try to to pull the bar to get it up again. It is like launching the kite from land.

I have another solution:
pay me a ticket and accomodtaion and I come over and show you !! :wink:

Watch the video again and you will see, what we mean.

Don't give up, you will make it!

Toby

SKIBUMNCO
Medium Poster

Postby SKIBUMNCO » Thu May 23, 2002 8:47 pm

Thanks Murdoc
You both refer to the kite on its back side pulling the correct lines... Are you meaning the kite would more-less have the tips of it facing skyward. Rather the tips and the lines coming back towards me. Wether it be leading edge down or up the tips would always be facing me... I cant rember the kite really duing that.. It would always cetch the wind like a parachute but in the water...
Yes it is a high performance kite.. Its just strange on land I can almost launch it w/ my eyes closed.. Water hmmm diff story? Does the water simply add weight and need stronger winds?......
Could it be I have the adjustable chickenloop lines adjusted wrong.. Maybe it's the angle of attack and line adjust ments... Example basically with the kite in the water w/ leading edge upwards the kite is say at a 90% angle from water to kite..
Has anybody made a vidio to help people like my-self who have no lessons w/ out travling to the costal states or countries..
Thanks again... I havent tried to pump the kite into the air.. Instead I would just pull the inner lines and try and hold as I thrust my board fwd in the water to give it extra pull & tension... Maybe my biggest problem is just to little of wind..
SKY HIGH
Steve

SKIBUMNCO
Medium Poster

Postby SKIBUMNCO » Thu May 23, 2002 8:55 pm

Well Toby... Thanks !
That would be my best answer to my problem.. But too many toy's and too little money? Besides your in Europe right?
Ok I think I need to figure out what you and Murdoc etc mean on how to launch from the side of the window... With a friend on land it is very easy if they hold the kite sideways it just takes off out of there hand like a feather.... Now to launch it from the side of the window.. Doesnt the kite have to be on it's side? Or at least one tip in the
air?
SKY HIGH

STEVE

SKIBUMNCO
Medium Poster

Postby SKIBUMNCO » Thu May 23, 2002 9:05 pm

Id be a little scared to take the bridle off.. And switch it to a 2 line... I've missed place the pig tails.. Is it still possible and wouldnt I have to adjust everthing... Ive just left it the way it is cuz I know it fly's on land just fine?
No Toby never give up... Im stoked and would take alot to miss direct me..

Postby Guest » Thu May 23, 2002 10:55 pm

Putting away the bridle doesnt mean you get a 2-liner.
Never heard of Airblast tuned that way...
Actually removing the bridle is nice if you dont need reverse launching.
Anyway launching reverse is only safe if you are in shallow water, if you are swimming it is
quite dangerous because of lines getting twisted around your bar,feet,hands and then the kite starts with full power...
Thisl

Return to “Kitesurfing”