Forum for kitesurfers
harks98
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Foil Riders who have switched to LEI's

Postby harks98 » Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:03 am

Basically, I have some $$ to blow on some new kites and I don't want to be disappointed with what I buy as I've been saving my ass off since January.

I'm Currently flying Flysurfer Warriors, but I'm seriously considering getting myself a couple of 03 or 04 LEI's (8,12 & 16 ish) around September for the start of our season.

The Titan sounds nice, but the 04 CO2 with Recon has me very interested... looks like it will relaunch as well as my Warriors?

Anyway, those that have switched from FOILS (especially Flysurfers) to LEI's, can you please tell me how you are enjoying your transition? Pros / Cons.

If you don't want to go down in Flames - email me at harks98@yahoo.com

Also, my Flysufer is extremely durable, I've put it into trees, had it smashed by waves and she still holds together and fly's and looks new.... how do LEI's compare on the durability scale?

matt

Kaito
Frequent Poster
Style: Surf, freeride & freeslide
Gear: Kites: Powered
Boards: Surf & homegrown
strapless kite surfboards

Postby Kaito » Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:36 am

Did you get any mail???
Just wondering....
at the risk of 'flames'...

But really - I too wonder if anyone has made
this 'switch'..FOIL to LEI...

Would be interrsted to hear...
Just reply 'mail' or 'no Mail' if you fear the 'flames'...

Regards,
K.

Andrei
Rare Poster

Postby Andrei » Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:39 am

Titan is non so good, I have it and cant ride with this, all post about "good" Titan is just marketing.
Try North Rino, this is realy leader of season.
AMP also not bad.
Last edited by Andrei on Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:39 am

if someone posts their opinion there is no reason for flaming!

so let us hear about it.

Greets
Toby

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Sat Jul 26, 2003 12:36 pm

That's like asking someone to hug a Porcupine... Asking an L.A. gang banger to stand in front of his crew and say he's attracted sexually to them...

You're talking about someone's religion here! It ain't; "My AERO is better looking than your TORO". You're asking evangelical kiters on one side to say the Devil has infiltrated other side. No way...

Besides, there's too many nice people on either side.

Jim

jono
Rare Poster

Postby jono » Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:14 pm

hey wetstuff, what the f*** are you on ?????

KiteGlider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KiteGlider » Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:56 pm

Matt,

Started with a 1999, 9m Concept Air New Wave,
got spanked flying it in 25-30mph, NO depower!

SWITCHED to Wipika 16.4 AB (22.5m2), beautiful machine, but fell apart after 2 years of severe UV exposure. ( the center section is now cut out, ends rejoined, and it's now my highwind wave surfing 9.2 !! (11m2 ?) :lol: (it still has the 16.4 logo)

I needed to take a break from the bladder thing, so I'm back to a FS MA16 due to our light wind conditions here in NW Florida.

I really want something like an Aero 16 for 15-25mph and wave surfing,
and keep the big foil for cruising and speed sailing my converted windsurfer board.

It goes in cycles for me, GREAT time to shop around, so many excellent systems out there!
- KG

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Sat Jul 26, 2003 5:39 pm

I snort North when I want a controlled high...and F-ARC's when my nervous system can handle it. Don't do Concept Air alone - can be some bad trippin'....

....IS THAT ENOUGH OF A F'ing ANSWER?

Jim

Gpet78
Medium Poster

Postby Gpet78 » Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:55 pm

I am only LEI user from my short experience the durability of LEIs is really bad even if you dont drop the kite, solo landings can also damage the kites. So durability of Foils seems to be much much much much better... An LEI can last for 1day or 2,3 or more years it is just how lucky you are

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:28 pm

I started many years ago, flying only foils.

Windtools Mosquitos and Flexifoil Blades and the ultra fast Kitesurfer X-Foils.

Then I changed to LEI's.

But I have flown the 15.5 Psycho for a period, half a year ago.

So my experiences are mostly from the older foils (Except for the Psycho, which had great hang time), and not with the "latest" ones...

But still, at that time when I changed, I could compare.

I was a convinced foil flyer - as it seemed like the best "wing" at that time.
But there were downsides too.

The worst problem was gusty wind causing collapse (and worst case: tangling), and impossible relaunching when soaked up in small waves.

These problems got solved 100% right away, when I tried a Naish AR5 for the first time.
Stability and control in gusts, and "forever" relaunchable.
Of course they could luff and fall down in super gusty conditions - but it did not matter, as they could ALWAYS be relaunched.
I had to use a little time to learn to relaunch, as I could not back the kite up like used to.
But as this is part of the very basic training in any kite school - it did not take long to get used to.

The knowing that you never had to worry about tangling and/or not being able to relaunch, is really really an important thing, that make you feel much safer and better about everything - and you can really go for it (try every possible move), without ever thinking about the kite.

And then I experienced something I did not expect at first:
Much better hang time and easy control in the air !
And the turning capability was amazing - turned on a dime, and you could feel exactly what you did through the bar.

Price and durability is not really an issue - as with everything else, we go for the best, regardless of expenses.

And I found the LEI to be really really tough, even with everyday use.

Then the LEI's advanced to the next levels in the following years, and especially the big ones have remarkable turning characteristics (and therefore jumping and trick ability).

Turning a big foil by using brakes, slows it down, and reduces jump performance.
This is not an issue with the LEI's - and I really feel they accelerate much better when turning, than big foils (although the foils themeselves could be faster when going straight).

Starting and landing is also not an issue (only a thing that can contribute to the endless foil-LEI discussions...), as it is no problem with either type.
That you can start/land a foil straight in the powerzone or backwards, or alone - does it really matter ? Not for 99.9% of the kitesurfers...

Upwind performance was the same, or even better on LEI's when sheeted out.

So you asked what to expect, and above was what I experienced when changing.

Now the foils are much better, but because they have no advantages when talking about my experiences above - I have absolutely no reasons to change back.

The foils were more FUN just to fly, on land in light wind particulary - but when talking water use, the LEI's are just so much more suitable, AND performing.

Changing from foil to LEI:
You should expect to get a kite that is easier to jump, performs the same, and has heaps of hangtime, and you dont have to worry about water relaunchability any more, or getting the kite soaked.
You'll have to get used to spending longer time when relaunching from the water, if the kite ends up straight downwind.
And landing without a helper can in some cases only be done with the safety leash, if you are not too experienced.
If you get a big kite, you'll probably also find it very "heavy" in light winds.
And this is true. With insufficient winds, they can be quite problematic to fly.
But when powered for "normal" water use, they fly excellent.
You'll have to spend a few minutes pumping the kite.
But you get rid of any bridle tangling/damage or sea weed problems (bridles and sea weed - aaaaaargh :x )

Some prefer foils because they like the characteristics of these, or are using foils for buggying.
But above is my description of what you should expect when changing :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”