going to Dubai

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

going to Dubai

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:33 pm

:thumb:
Hello Dubaiian Kitesurfers,
perhaps I'm going to life in Dubai for the next 2 years.
Of course I have a few questions, perhaps you can help me also in terms, which are not related to our sport.
1. As German kitesurfer I have x2 14m² and x2 10m². I am 85kg and use a 140cm twintip. To go to Dubai do I need a 20m², or would you prefer 18m² or 25m²???
2. Should I buy here or in Dubai? i.e. Aero2 18m² or Toro2 18m² or CO2 20m² cost 980Euro = 4140AEDs today.
3. Do I need a larger board?

of topic:
4. I will work at Dubai Drydocks. Do I need a car to go to the spots?
5. How much is a car in good running conditions.

6. Which other tips can you give me?

Thanks a lot, hoping to see and meet you,
hopefully you have nice conditions the next weeks.

Bernd Verhoeven

Zol Tan
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Zol Tan » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:56 am

Hi Brendy!

As you can see Im not a Dubaiian but I have worked in Dubai for 1 year in
1999. I just sailed in Dubai (started kitesurfing in 2000 here in Europe) but as I can remember the wind wasn't to strong that area 2-3 Bft sometimes stronger. You definetly need a bigg kite and Im not sure you will need the 10 m2.

Yes you need a car not just for the kitesurfing but for your personal life as well. There is almost no public transportation and everybody has a car.

Dubai is a very good country with a lot of European and American people
and with good pubs you will enjoyet it.

I wish I had a kite with me that time.

Zol

deano
Rare Poster

Dubai Kiting

Postby deano » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:47 am

Bernd,

Currently living in Dubai, been here 1 year so far. In answer to your questions.

1/ Most of the guys have a large lightwind kite in their quiver, for most its a 20m. One guy is looking a the new 25m Gaastra but have not seen it on the beach yet. With a 20m and you weight Id guess you would get going in about 10knt which is at the lower end of average for a Dubai day. So basically YES, you need a big kite, 20m is good.

For current Dubai wind conditions go to dubaicoast.org .Generally thermal seabreezes about 10-14knt in the afternoon 2-5pm, though recently its been 18-20knts (rare!). Get the occasional rare Shamal of 25knt+

2/In Dubai you can get Naish, Cabrinha, Takoon (I think). No North dealers. As a guide I just bought New X3 14 for 900USD, and New X3 20 for 950 USD (complete bar, lines, bag etc...).

3/Larger board? Hmm, maybe. Im 95kg and have a 160x45 which gets me going on the lighter days, but as your a bit lighter Id suggest you stick to the smaller board, initially anyhow. Through people over here you can get Cyclone (S-African) or Jimmy Lewis (Haw) boards which can be custom built.

4/ Dubai drydock are in town, main kite beach is about 15min drive towards Abu-Dhabi. Car not essential, but stongly preferred.

5/ Little runabout can be bought for 2k USD.
2nd Hand Jeep Wrangler 5.5k USD
2nd Hand Family Saloon 5-6k USD

search for the yahoogroup dubaikiteclub
or fatimasport.com (Naish retailer), or ULO Sharjah (Cabrinha Retailer)

Cheers
Deano

SteveM
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Maseriah Island, Oman
Style: Surf
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby SteveM » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:48 am

All the above info is good advice. The 10m will be useful for trips to Oman, although it may be a bit big.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DubaiKiteClub/

Steve

Return to “Kitesurfing”