Quick release question

Forum for kitesurfers
Badcoconut
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Badcoconut » Sat Jun 15, 2002 10:06 am

I'm a beginner at this sport, haven't even gotten up on my board yet. I have however been drug across a field, luckily I was in the power loop and not my C-loop and was able to unhook before reaching the power lines.After reading about the recent tragedy I decided to install a quick release so with very little knowledge and a lot of internet surfing I ended up with this configuration. http://www.badcoconut.com/cloop.jpg .I would welcome some suggestions and comment. on the drawbacks of this set up.
Phil....

edmis
Medium Poster

Postby edmis » Sat Jun 15, 2002 6:21 pm

ok, there seem to be two major trends in quick release problem. first is using some kind of snap shackles which come from yachting world. the other way is simple and fool proof system being used by wipika and other modifications of it. main part there is metalic pin which connect two loops, pull out the pin and you are free.

i personnaly have sailed on racing yachts and have experienced problems with shackles and i would not trust my health to shackle.
so i will bet on wipika quick release. i cannot think of the way it could fail. no moving parts, nothing to fail, keep in sand for days and it will work

regards

edmis

Trikke
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Andora, Albenga, Tarifa
Favorite Beaches: Los lances, tarifa
Style: Waves to wakestyle, to g' old big airs!
Gear: '14 RRD 9m + 13,5m Obsession
RRD Poison 134x43, RRD AssoPigliatutto Pro, RRD Waveoff 5'6", RRD Domingo 5'8"x21"

Postby Trikke » Sun Jun 16, 2002 8:55 pm

I use a Wipika chicken loop and a snap shackle on my leash. I think it's the safest system available

Trikke
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Andora, Albenga, Tarifa
Favorite Beaches: Los lances, tarifa
Style: Waves to wakestyle, to g' old big airs!
Gear: '14 RRD 9m + 13,5m Obsession
RRD Poison 134x43, RRD AssoPigliatutto Pro, RRD Waveoff 5'6", RRD Domingo 5'8"x21"

Postby Trikke » Mon Jun 17, 2002 9:19 am

I saw the picture. It'd be better connecting the green rope to the snap shackle by a steel ring,just because sometimes rope loops don't release completely. A steel ring keeps its larger shape and so it works safer

Badcoconut
Rare Poster

Postby Badcoconut » Mon Jun 17, 2002 12:23 pm

Good point Trikke, thanks

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:44 pm

so far it looks ok, but it is really long. You should shorten it somehow.
Also what I personally hate is that you still can slip out of the chicken loop. I like to be in the C-loop all the time.
Ok, I can't do no handle passes and unhooked jumps, but this way I feel safer.

uipko
Rare Poster

Postby uipko » Mon Jun 17, 2002 2:54 pm

Maybe its a good idea to connect the QR the otherway round. If you now let go of the bar the QR is flying around and can hit something or someone.

Greetz Uipko

Webwart
Rare Poster

Postby Webwart » Mon Jun 17, 2002 6:47 pm

..Uipko is right. The same story I've tried to tell a guy using that system and he replied "No problem at all, it is safe." In the next moment he gave me a short demonstration how safe it is and "boing" -> he hit me with the released trigger. hauhauhau

Webwart

kiterdude
Medium Poster

Postby kiterdude » Mon Jun 17, 2002 9:30 pm

Maybe this is a safe system

http://www.boardsports.nl/html/body_prolimit.html

....or do you guys think this pro-limit system sucks...I have no idea, does anyone has any experiences with this thing...

Badcoconut
Rare Poster

Postby Badcoconut » Mon Jun 17, 2002 9:51 pm

Thanks Toby , I thought it may be too long too. And I didnt even think about where the shackle would end up. I positioned it so that when I need to release all i have to do is grab the chicken loop and run my hand in an outward direction eventually catching the lanyard. If I'm being dragged by a runaway kite I think anybody in the way has more than just the shackle to worry about, but still i will definately turn it around. I would be really interested to hear how well the Prolimit bar works? Looks like the most simple solution

Return to “Kitesurfing”