forum for kitesurfers

thomps33
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None

Need Essentials wetsuit

Postby thomps33 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:35 am

This is probably a horrible first post for me because it looks like I'm spamming but here goes. I'm new to kiteboarding, (just took my first lesson 2 weeks ago) but I'm not new to wetsuits. I live in MN so I ordered and just received a 5/4/3/ NP Edge (amazing deal on amazon) and a 3/2 Need Essentials wetsuit. Anyways, I blown away at the Need Essentials wetsuit! All the seams are blind stitched, glued, and taped. There wasn't a loose stitch on it as there was compared the the NP. I honestly think the NE quality is higher than the NP and it was more stretchy offering a better fit (this could be from the NE being thinner).

However, the Need Essentials wetsuit is only offered in black and doesn't have a fleece lining. It also doesn't offer any rubber on the front of the wetsuit to help negate the windchill effect. I haven't had either on the water yet, so I will report back once I do.

Needs Essentials, was started by a designer for a large wetsuit company. It's an internet direct business with no advertising so there's a lot less overhead which means cheaper products. The 3/2 was $150 :jump: and I plan on getting the 5/4 if I'm happy with the 3/2. I also ordered booties and gloves which I'm happy with from just trying them on. Does anyone else have experience with Need Essentials?

I'd check it out if you're in the market for a new wetsuit. Like I said, I'll report back my impressions once I get them wet.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1337
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Re: Need Essentials wetsuit

Postby foilholio » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:15 am

Haha your post does look like an ad. I was wondering when someone would start a direct wetsuit company. Quality looks good but the prices are not as cheap as some of the best brands on special, which also have more features. Maybe have a half price offer to get your products out there and tested?

thomps33
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Gear: none

Re: Need Essentials wetsuit

Postby thomps33 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:34 am

Yeah, the NP Edge I got was almost 1/2 price. I think it was a pricing mistake actually because they went back up to full price immediately after I paid for it. I used to be a Oneil fan, but I had problems with their taped seams starting to disintegrate after 1 season. The Need Essentials seams look more robust. I guess only time will tell.

Needs is a young company, so I'm hoping they have more options in the future.

Return to “Kitesurfing”