Eight New Stories, KSI Restructured

Forum for kitesurfers
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:12 am

Eight new stories have been added to the KSI dealing with leash issues including an example about why grab leashes are not reliable, several loftings including an uplift lofting and much more.

The KSI has been divided into three files for more rapid downloading, one for each of the years of 2000, 2001 and 2002. A table of contents has been added to each, along with page numbers, account titles per the suggestion of Rick Cavallaro along with a what's new section at the bottom of page 5. The site is located (for now), at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kitesurf/ ... formation/

There are lots of lessons and developing patterns in these accounts. Kiteboarding isn't as easy as it looks and when things go wrong you need as much on your side as you can get. Things like using good judgment, training, safety gear, kite leashes and lets not forget "space". This sport is evolving and we are learning from our mistakes, so tune up, tune in and contribute. More conclusions about these trends will be developed in the coming weeks. If readers have input, different analysis, suggestions, eyewitness information or new accounts, please email them to me at: flkitesurfer@hotmail.com.

Rick Iossi

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Jun 27, 2002 2:50 pm

For those who might be wondering about all the fine print in the KSI a repost and explaination follow:

Rick,
Thanks. Why the disclaimer stuff ? "TERMS OF USE: Access to and use of this information is restricted. This resource is intended for the reading and private use by KITEBOARDERS ONLY to improve safety. Use by other parties for any other purpose or reproduction of portions or the entirety of this copyrighted document by ANY PARTY, is strictly prohibited unless prior written release to do so is given by the owner. In proceeding to review this document, the user fully agrees to comply with these restrictions. "

Why is it set so I can't print it out to read ?

tx

Rory

All the attempts at legal bulwarks are distracting and a bit annoying, I agree. There was a fair amount of controversy about the predecessor of the KSI, the Accident Database on the kitesurf list on yahoogroups a few months ago. Some wanted to dissolve the Database. They strongly felt that the benefits of helping to preserve safety in some cases lives, would be over shadowed by potential damage done to the sport by hostile zealots using information from the listed accounts. I disagreed then and still do.
This sport is so young, the hazards and means of avoiding them are not well known yet. Please read through the KSI, read the internet lists and talk to your friends if you are in doubt about this. That is why both of these resources were created and the KSI is expanding today. I admit, the bulwarks are only skin deep but hopefully they will make using the information by unauthorized parties in a legal forum against the sport, harder. At least that is the intent. I am not an attorney, although I had a US attorney look over the bulwarks after I prepared them (Thanks Brett!). That explains the copyright, the copy/print restriction in Adobe, etc. Sorry for the hassle but I figured this inconvenience is more than balanced by the potential benefits conveyed by the collective lessons in the KSI. Input on this is welcome.

Good winds, Rick Iossi

phree
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby phree » Sat Jun 29, 2002 8:08 am

Nice job Rick! It would be cool if there were even more feedback and discussion of the important and thorough posts you share with us. However, rest assured that many people are reading your research and it goes to improve the collective consciousness on the subject of kiteboarding knowledge and safety. Keep up the good work!

:cool:

Return to “Kitesurfing”