Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Bladder pressure

forum for kitesurfers

kiter111
Rare Poster

Postby kiter111 » Sat Jul 20, 2002 2:33 am

F-One's recommended bladder pressure is 11 psi for Magic 12.0(while the pump delivers 15 psi acc. to their manual) .

We tried to inflate the main bladder to 11, but there is NO way we could do it. At 6 psi the bladder sounds like "ping" when tapped... I got to 6.5 psi and chickened out, affraid to get blown away :wink:

Does anyone have a pressure READING as a NUMBER (in psi), that he knows is safe? I used a guage with a range of 0-30 psi, so my reading is pretty accurate.

Just curious.

If this was a automotive product ( i.e. a car), nobody would accept a statement: "Oh, just inflate the tires hard enough so the car raises 10 " of the ground (= so the kite forms a "C").... That's what the gauges are for and the pumps shoud have them! Cheap ones go for $5-6 bucks!

Thanks

Kiter 111

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Jul 20, 2002 8:50 am

some people pump it up real hard, others keep them softer, because there are some differences in opinions which way it will restart easier.
With the X2 I pump it up hard so it keeps its profile for higher and longer jumps.
I wouldn't pump it up that hard that it doesn't bend a bit when you push the tube.
When you crash it it is more likely that a real hard tube will break than a softer one.
Depending on your ability you should decide: beginner - softer tube, advanced - harder.

Forget the manuals, since they also tell you that the kites starts at 2 knts.... :roll:

Cheers
Toby

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Sat Jul 20, 2002 2:26 pm

I agree with Toby on the manuals. The harder you blow up your kite the less life expectancy it will have. It doesn't even have to be hard as long as you can relauch it. Very few people will notice a diference in a kite that is underinflated unless it is really soft and wobbles as it flies. The average kitesurfer will never notice a diference unless he has a high aspect kite. The higher the aspect the harder the kite. Therefore if youre rich and can afford lots of kites then pump it up man. If youre out there trying new tricks and learning you know youre gonna crash so don't blow it up. When I inflate my high aspect kites I blow them up depending on the wind speed. High wind easy relaunch bad crash potential softer kite. Light wind hard relaunch moderate crash harder kite. The exact pressure is a mystery but stand your kite on the wingtip and hold the leading edge. Fold the kite in two and if it reopens on its own youre fine. If it doesn't put some more in there. Also remember that where the bladder is biggest holds the most pressure so near the inflation point will be much higher pressure than near the wingtips. Good pumping. We have a compressor and spent hours playing with pressures exactly but one day when I had it blown up really hard someone let alot of air out while I was somewhere else then when I came back I launched and had the best session then realized my kite was way deflated, Then we forgot about exact pressures.

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Sat Jul 20, 2002 2:26 pm

I agree with Toby on the manuals. The harder you blow up your kite the less life expectancy it will have. It doesn't even have to be hard as long as you can relauch it. Very few people will notice a diference in a kite that is underinflated unless it is really soft and wobbles as it flies. The average kitesurfer will never notice a diference unless he has a high aspect kite. The higher the aspect the harder the kite. Therefore if youre rich and can afford lots of kites then pump it up man. If youre out there trying new tricks and learning you know youre gonna crash so don't blow it up. When I inflate my high aspect kites I blow them up depending on the wind speed. High wind easy relaunch bad crash potential softer kite. Light wind hard relaunch moderate crash harder kite. The exact pressure is a mystery but stand your kite on the wingtip and hold the leading edge. Fold the kite in two and if it reopens on its own youre fine. If it doesn't put some more in there. Also remember that where the bladder is biggest holds the most pressure so near the inflation point will be much higher pressure than near the wingtips. Good pumping. We have a compressor and spent hours playing with pressures exactly but one day when I had it blown up really hard someone let alot of air out while I was somewhere else then when I came back I launched and had the best session then realized my kite was way deflated, Then we forgot about exact pressures.

Return to “Kitesurfing”