Good newbie board and kite ?

Forum for kitesurfers
Noobi
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Noobi » Sat Jul 20, 2002 5:02 pm

Allright guys and girls.

Here's my problem. I just tried kitesurfing, and was hooked immediately.

Even though I spent most of the day trying to learn how to control the kite, bodydragging etc, and at last fell over about a million times trying to actually surf with a board, I loved it.

My problem is now that I want a kite, and board, that can take some abuse (since I am certain it will crash every now and then in the beginning), is stable, reliable and durable, yet something I won't have to trade in a season or two.

I notice all you guys (and girls) here seem all excited about the X2 kite and so forth. My impression is that you all are kind of out of my league though, so perhaps you could do me a favour and recommend some good starter kits, as I take it that such a kite would fly ME rather than the other way around ?

The wind range I expect to surf in is about
5-12 m/s (I guess that's about 10 to 24 knots) and I weigh about 85 kg.

Give me some clues on what to look for, please :smile:

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 20, 2002 5:26 pm

Go for a Wipika Hydro 9.0 and The Wipika Switcher 175 board. This set is perfect for your first year or even years for a lot of people.

Best Regards
Ahm

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby murdoc » Sat Jul 20, 2002 9:36 pm

yeh ...

get a kite specified as intermediate kite, a flysurfer warrior or a peter lynn ARC - in the range of 12m² flat area (or the arc 840 or warrior 9.3).

softkites have more durability than tubekites.

a board like the switcher's a good choice - a twintip around 1.70 to 1.80m will get you going fast enough to not frustrate you and will be fun for long :wink:

Carbon
Rare Poster

Postby Carbon » Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:34 pm

I'd got for a Toro (10 or 12) and a Lightwave Wake and Style 169

jever98
Frequent Poster

Postby jever98 » Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:46 pm

Judging from my girlfriend's response, the Toro seems very easy and forgiving.

She is using a Liquid Force Rhythm 147. Very cheap and very forgiving for its length (44cm wide!)
Probably more tricky initially than a Switcher, but much cheaper (she paid 240 Euro new) and very durable. Plus you can sell it to a wakeboarder in a season or so.

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 21, 2002 2:34 pm

Get an ARC 1120 or 840 if you want stability and long life.
Joe

Return to “Kitesurfing”