Kitesurf Trophy Fehmarn - Safety

Forum for kitesurfers
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Aug 08, 2002 11:18 am

It is interesting that they are planning a slalom course. I wanted to do this with three parallel buoy courses at our first local kiteboarding competition in Miami, FL last December. The buoy cooridors would have been setup far enough apart to reduce the chance of wrapping lines. It was interesting that many of the competitors and particularly the competition manager only wanted to do freestyle and bigair. They thought having three guys racing a full blast along several circuits of the buoys would be dull. I guess that means no more GS in skiing, too bad! I am glad that someone is trying this concept out. I had also thought of throwing something in like boardercross. However the chance of wrapping lines in something like that is quite high. Careful consideration should be given to running something like that and effective ways of improving safety particularly reducing the chance of wrapped lines, leash or no.

There is to be a case in the KSI about a rider that was wrapped by another rider which stalled his kite, he was wrapped by his lines and dragged at high speed by both kites with no means of depowering either kite.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Aug 08, 2002 4:03 pm

Hi Anders,

I don't think you have to participate in the race, so just come for freestyle.

Send me an e-mail with your phone number and I will pass it on the organizer, Thilo.
He will call you and you can talk to him.
Would be great to meet!

Toby@kiteboarder.info

Cheers
Toby

Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 23, 2002 9:48 am

Kitesurfsurvey of the University of Hamburg
The Institute for Sports and Exercise Medicine of the University of Hamburg analyses the frequency and pattern of injuries while kitesurfing under leasure and competition conditions since May 2002.
In order to get representative data to evaluate the danger potential of kitesurfing, we have prepared a web based questionnaire. We would like to receive the filled-out forms of as many athletes as possible, covering all age and ability levels.
In this respect it is not important if there was an accident or an injury during kitesurfing so far.
You can find the questionaire at the following URL:
http://www.kitesurfstudy.com
Dr. Marc Ziegler, M.D. [marc.ziegler@uni-hamburg.de]

Return to “Kitesurfing”