List of questions for Ken Winner

Forum for kitesurfers
jever98
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby jever98 » Tue Aug 06, 2002 7:57 pm

Since it worked well with Don Montague, I thought we could send Ken Winner questions about the Rhino 2 and see if he wants to answer them.

Off we go:
Ken, what was the benchmark in the design of the Rhino 2?

How does it compare with existing kites (i.e. where do you see improvements)?

When are we going to see improvements in kite materials, especially the canopy?

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 06, 2002 8:27 pm

OK here are my questions,

I’d like to know more about what you think about the segmented rib idea. I know you said it might create extra drag because the seams run opposite the direction of airflow.

I know from being in hang gliders, during the early years, that canopy collapse on the top front of the leading edge was detrimental to performance. I thought the real idea behind these ribs was to shore up that gap which allows the canopy to push in at the rib and add a small amount of canopy stiffness in this area. I have seen photos on the web of the X2 with the canopy collapsed at the rib. Maybe my thoughts are wrong, or maybe the X2 rib doesn’t work to prevent this problem like they had hoped.

What are your thoughts on the inflated tip ribs? I heard you had tried them, but I see the final Rhino II has glass battens. I thought they would require a lot of pressure to really work well. I also wonder if they might increase tip vortices. Or do some think they may reduce them.

I’ve heard users of the X2 describe it as being almost foil like in the fast way it zooms across the wind window. I’ve heard the X2 described as a directional riders kite. Does the Rhino II behave like this? I hope it’s more like the original Rhino, but with more top end range. A strong steady puller with good range.

Dwight

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Tue Aug 06, 2002 8:38 pm

Do you still ride a wakeboard and why don't kite manufacturers distinguish the diference between a kite for wakeboarding and a kite for non wake? What warranty comes with a North Kite?
Aloha Royce.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Royce on 2002-08-06 21:39 ]</font>

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:02 pm

When I fly the Toro 16 and Rhino 16, the feel at the bar is identical. Can I expect the same feel with the Rhino II 16m? I guess what I'm asking, will the bar and line length I use now, be right for the Rhino II.

Dwight

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:04 pm

Hey guys, I sent KW a private email to let him know about this forum post. Let's hope he has the time to join us.

Dwight

jever98
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jever98 » Wed Aug 07, 2002 1:28 pm

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jever98 on 2002-08-07 16:34 ]</font>

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 07, 2002 6:13 pm

Where do you envisage kite design in the future? Do you see it mirroring windsufing race sails in some way in that they will be able to build kites with greater and greater top end limiting the need for smaller kites I feel this is happening already. What is the difference between the new kite and an x2

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 07, 2002 6:50 pm

I would like to know about the way of designing of a kite: do you start with an existing kite, modify and adjust several parameters, build and test it several times (sort of trial & error) or do you use CFD applications or maybe wind tunnel tests.
What are the limits of these, are you able to simulate instationary flows, maybe even aeroelastic effects?

By the way, I still love to actually FLY a kite. But these are some thoughts I had in mind for some time.

Thanks, Linus

... and if you ever are in need for somebody doing an internship or a diploma thesis, just let me know :smile:

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:27 pm

What performance charateristic distinguish the Toro from the Current Rhino and the New Rhino II? I am trying to decide on which one to get next. I currently fly the Rhinos and have been happy with them. Some say the Toro is better for hang time, and more stable in the smaller sizes for high wind kites i.e, not so jiteery and fast in higher winds making them easier to control.

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:38 pm

What changes are present in the new bar "scepter". Where can we go on the net to learn more about this bar, or other new products from North.

Return to “Kitesurfing”