how does a 4 line kite turn

Forum for kitesurfers
captain pugwash
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby captain pugwash » Thu Aug 08, 2002 5:55 am

Johnny,
I've been playing with bar designs for a while: had a major shock with snap shackles and how much pull they need to release under full body weight load. So I now use a mechanism adapted from parachute releases, works a treat.... Following the sheep just means that you all get into the same shit together !

This turning cunundrum all came about when I wondered why the leading edge lines don't attatch to the ends of the bar instead of the middle...the more I thought about it the more it puzzled me...it all hangs on the stearing...bad pun I'm afraid !

A reply from a designer would be much appreciated...cheers

captain pugwash
Medium Poster

Postby captain pugwash » Thu Aug 08, 2002 6:07 am

Johnny....the second skin idea has already been simulated, the lift/drag ratio increases beyond belief if my memory serves me right, approx. 5x, now you have some idea why I question what design has gone into my seriously expensive piece of sailcloth. I MUST be missing something...

...tip of the iceburg I'm afraid eg. Pulling on one side of the bar initially would in effect increase the sheeting of the tip therefore increasing it's lift and accelerating it towards the edge of the window, until you sheet too much, laminar flow over the back breaks down/drag increases, tip stalls, slows down and kite eventually turns....

suggestions !....I know...just pull on the bleedin bar and be thankfull it works !

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 08, 2002 7:03 am

There was actually a big discussion on this a while back on Yahoo groups have a check on the archives there.

Perhaps the turning effect is caused more by one side of the kite flying faster, or more towards the edge of the window (same thing). Then the other instead of one side stalling.

On a to line I can only guess the turning effect is caused when the kite tries to right itself after one side is pulled down. But I really haven't thought that one out.

Stu

Robert
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Robert » Thu Aug 08, 2002 8:51 am

FYI,
Here is some more info on double skinned LEI's

jever98
Frequent Poster

Postby jever98 » Thu Aug 08, 2002 8:57 am

Why don't you pop in a question to Ken Winner and see if he answers it.
Cheers
Nico

Fabe
Medium Poster

Postby Fabe » Thu Aug 08, 2002 11:07 am

Hi Robert;

WHERE???

Thx
Fabe

Robert
Frequent Poster

Postby Robert » Thu Aug 08, 2002 1:18 pm

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Thu Aug 08, 2002 2:19 pm

As lift increases drag sqares ie twice as much lift four times as much drag. By pulling on the back edge of my kite I change the amount of lift pulling the kite in the direction of the turn but also releasing the amount of drag from the other side of the kite maing that side travel faster due to less lift and therefore less drag. The wingip generates more lift when I pull in the direction of the turn. Therefore I have lift pulling in the direction of my turn, I have drag slowing my turning edge and less drag on the other wingtip resulting in lots of forces pulling and pushing ( Yucky physics words huh Prof ?) my kite into a turn. Thats why the steering lines are at the wingtips and not the entire trailing edge. If the steering was on the trailing edge the kite would act like a plane wing and turn opposite. PS us Dumbfucks kinna hate being called that. Dork!

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Thu Aug 08, 2002 2:21 pm

PS. If you have a spine put your e-mail address on your posts and then if you have something bad to say e-mail it directly. Much more personal and then the rest of us don't have to listen to your petty crap. PS annonymous posts are always viewed as bi_assed and f.o .s anyway. Dwight nice attitude dude.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 08, 2002 3:34 pm

Sorry to interupt:

what the Captain is asking is of technical interest.
If not to these people who are trying to understand how things work, we never would have a kite or improvements.
So appreciate everyone who is asking for more detailed information. If you think this guy is stupid and doens't know how to steer, don't comment it. For me the Captain is way ahead of many of us. I never thought about this, but it makes sense to have a closer look at it.

"Anonymous", you are not that anonymous to me. I can tell you that you posted so far 30 posts. And please leave those comments at home, even if you think is funny, then make it clear that it is a joke, otherwise the user feels not respected.
And don't forget, it is just one click and you will never reach the 40 posts here.

Thx for reading and understanding!

Admin

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Admin on 2002-08-08 16:36 ]</font>

Return to “Kitesurfing”