Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Naish X2 Sizing - Please help!

Forum for kitesurfers
KailuaWinds
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby KailuaWinds » Thu Aug 08, 2002 11:30 pm

Hi, I'm pretty new and am looking to buy my first kite, probably a Naish X2. I hear this is one of the best, and I need a kite that I can use for quite awhile (getting more than 1 kite is not going to be an option, financially, for awhile).

I'm about 60Kg (135lbs) and will be mostly kiting in 10-25 knot winds in Hawaii. I'll be using a 142 size board (wakestyle). Please give me your advice on whether I should get the 10 or the 8 size kite, and what you think about the X2...

Mahalo,

Nate

aklbob
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby aklbob » Fri Aug 09, 2002 3:43 am

Don't get an X2, they are way too fast and dangerous for someone to learn with. You will at best take much longer(many months) to learn with a kite like this, and more likely injure or kill yourself with it. The X2's are weapons, they make kiting more dangerous that it used to be, as the lift from them is huge, and not good for anyone learning.

KailuaWinds
Rare Poster

Postby KailuaWinds » Fri Aug 09, 2002 4:36 am

Thanks for the advice. What do you think about the Airush "Lift" or Cabrinha "BlackTip" kites for me?

I can kite ok already, and don't want to get a kite that's too extreme, but I won't have the money to get a new kite in 6 months, so I need one that I can "grow into". Since I'm living about 10 blocks from the beach, I should be able to get out most days of the week, and thus progress pretty quickly.

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 09, 2002 5:32 am

Hi,
if you just want to buy ONE kite,
buy one that has a wider windrange.
What about Airblast or F-One?
Anyway the first kite won't be the only kite for a long time.
Thisl

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 09, 2002 6:45 am

Hello,

NAISH who make the X2 also make a sweet kite for intermediate kiters & advanced wave riders. It is the Aero. The size you want is 10m for lighter winds and 8m for the stronger winds, based on your weight. You pick your preferred wind range to ride in and then the size to suit.

Cheers Lee.

Anabatic Kiteboarding NZ

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 09, 2002 6:56 am

If you know how to kite already use the X2 man they are probably the best preforming kite around My theory is however you should buy one slightly smaller then you would need once you get going. In future this can be your high wind kite or you can sell it to someone and buy a bigger one.

I think it is irresponsible to put any kite in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to kite without a lesson. But what kite you use does not really depend on your ability only your riding style.

I think you will actually learn to kite really quickly with the X2 as its preformance will help you not hinder you. I found it quite easy to jump on an X2 and I use ARCs. However do not buy too big to begin with as you will injure yourself, also go out in light winds only as a kite you can use in 10knots will requie expert usage at 25 knots (if indeed that is possible)

Remember that in a year the X2's will be the old kites people will try and flog off to beginners, while they buy the latest and greatest DANGEROUS WEAPON

Stu

hollanda
Rare Poster

Postby hollanda » Fri Aug 09, 2002 9:09 am

hi,
I think you should buy the x2-10. It's not a killerkite or what so ever. If you go gentle with it and use your head at all times every person will be able to learn kiting with this kite. As someone already said; within a year or 2 all beginners will be using this kite and a far more advanched kite will be used by all the "pro-kiteboarders". Is there no one at your beach from who you may hold the kite from for a few minutes?. Then you can feel the pulling off the kite. If the kite pulls you a bit on your toes while walking without pulling the powerstrap on you have the right kite for you. Keep in mind all depents on in how much beaufort/knots you would like to surf. If the kite is to powerfull....eat a bit more whoppers !!(kidding). Eeeeuh I may say..I am a bit jealous that you are living only 10 bloks from an sunny beach.
Aloha to ya!

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 09, 2002 9:51 am

I suggest you go to the Naish Hawaii store, right there in Kailua, and talk to those guys. I've found them to be very knowledgable and helpful. Plus they know the zone you'll be kiting in like the back of their hands. They won't point you in the wrong direction. Some of the guys that work there are among Oahu's best riders and also members of the Hawaii Kiteboarding Association. Don't forget to ask them about the Kama'aina discount for Oahu riders.

Even though you already have some experience kiting, please seriously consider at least one lesson. Not only will it save you lots of time with trial and error but it will make you a more responsible rider. The zone there at Kailua can be quite dangerous with so many bystanders. Please find out about and follow all the HKA safety guidelines.

Welcome to kiteboarding! You're going to have a blast!

kGreg
Medium Poster

Postby kGreg » Fri Aug 09, 2002 10:26 am

A friend of mine is going to Hawaii, I thought about asking him to bring me an X2 if it should be cheaper than around here.

Can you tell me what the price of an X2 14 is on Hawaii? More or less?

Thanks,

kGreg

Mo
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The KiteHouse _ North Marina _ Liban Nord
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan, Ras Sudr
Style: Freestyle
Gear: DTK Mono 2020 15m, 2020 Mono 11m, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 Rebel SLS 10m, 2021 Neo SLS 9m, 2020 Dice 9m, 2022 Dice 8m, 2022 Dice 7m, 2022 Neo SLS 5m
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby Mo » Fri Aug 09, 2002 4:49 pm

I was just a beginner and started with the foil and then moved immediately to the X2 in almost 2 months. Go ahead and shoot with the X2 in one condition only. You should be fit i.e. you should be able to react "quickly" on every sudden action of the X2. I have the 18 and I'm 73Kgs. and I'm using it between 10 and 15 knots. Incredibly fast and lifting is the fun. I had some scratches here and there and just yesterday I got an extra two. But believe me, the X2 is a kind of a bullet and it is the extreme we want. If you are currently kiting, I advise the X2, nothing else.
On 2002-08-09 00:30, KailuaWinds wrote:

Hi, I'm pretty new and am looking to buy my first kite, probably a Naish X2. I hear this is one of the best, and I need a kite that I can use for quite awhile (getting more than 1 kite is not going to be an option, financially, for awhile).

I'm about 60Kg (135lbs) and will be mostly kiting in 10-25 knot winds in Hawaii. I'll be using a 142 size board (wakestyle). Please give me your advice on whether I should get the 10 or the 8 size kite, and what you think about the X2...

Mahalo,

Nate

Return to “Kitesurfing”