Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New to kitesurfing, please read inside.

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 15, 2002 8:35 am

Hi there, i'm new to kitesurf, however not at all new to power kiting or buggying.

I had a Blade 2 4.9mtr kite and buggy last year and was out every possible moment i got (when there was wind).

I had a kitesurf lesson the other day and i had to laugh, soon as i picked up the kite i knew exactly what i was doing, body dragging was very fun + easy, managed to get up wind very easily.

I had my mind set on getting an Airush lift... but one big problem!! no safety release! I need safety, i dont wanna be caught in a pickle.

Having read so much about X2 and it's safety it has inspired me to get one... there is not much difference in the price and i understand that the lifts are the same power category as the X2?

Advice appreciated.

I live right near the beach and we get onshore wind 90% of the time. Wind varies, summer is pretty crap, but autumn and winter is amazing (autumn starts in september!! yay!).

I weigh about 65-70kg.

I have decided to go for a fanatic spider 159cm board.

Thx for advice
Adam.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 15, 2002 9:44 am

Adam,

the X2 is for very experienced riders.. and honestly it is not all the fuss which has been made around..

you should better try a middle ratio kite like the Aero (if you want to stay at Naish) or the Hydro (by Wipika) or the Toro (by North), those kite are really good and not only for beginers.. you would be amazed to know all the pro who are using those kites for their own fun..

you know the point in kiteboarding is to have fun, not the most professional equipement and honestly I'm sure that your progressions will be a lot better with a mid ratio kite/// try them and you will never ever want something else.. they are so stable, easy to relaunch and dam you can also have big air, very big one, if you understand yer kite

have fun

Greg
greg@christophertasti.com

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby murdoc » Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:29 am

i'm riding the lift, and i use a snap shackle for safety.

you can rig every kite with some kind of safety, or buy it kite only and get another bar for it.

but i have to agree:
don't get a high performance kite like the lift or x2.
the airush atv is great, too and has better water relaunch abilities.

the takoon-bar comes with 3 quick releases (leash, fixed loop and chickenloop)
and works fine.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 15, 2002 10:08 pm

I am getting a really good deal on board and kite, and i am definately going for a high spec kite. I have used the lift 9.4 and it's a piece of piss to relaunch. It sure does give a lot of power but certainly managable for me.

I have spoke to Oh so many boarders, several of them have started on things like the wipika freeairs and the ATV on 4 line and they have completely regretted it. Although they admit they are good kites they just don't tickle there taste buds as much as the higher spec kites they have ( one has a lift 9.4 and 12.2 other has a black tip 12.2).

I do not want to go the mid spec kite route and lose hmm 30-60% on my kite. I may however buy a second hand kite for higher wind.

Adam
Rare Poster

Postby Adam » Thu Aug 15, 2002 10:10 pm

Just registered rather than posting annonymously.

francky
Medium Poster

Postby francky » Thu Aug 15, 2002 10:20 pm

francky
Medium Poster

Postby francky » Thu Aug 15, 2002 10:23 pm

Hello
the problem with the X2 is that it's a nightmare to get it well tuned ... that's why it's an expert kite ...

Adam
Rare Poster

Postby Adam » Thu Aug 15, 2002 10:25 pm

On 2002-08-15 23:23, francky wrote:
Hello
the problem with the X2 is that it's a nightmare to get it well tuned ... that's why it's an expert kite ...
ahh! i seen one rider down at my beech with one, however i didn't get time to speak to him cos he was on the water the whole time.

Hmm i think ill stick with the lift then and try and rig a shackle to it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”