Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Respect or rights ?

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 15, 2002 3:17 pm

Read this story:
Someone looses his board 200m from shore with side-onshore winds. So he goes to the place where he expects it to arrive to shore and keeps waiting and looking around for hours. The board doesn't arrive, so he believes someone must have taken the board while it drifted to shore as there were many windsurfers out. We put up signs about the board the same evening. The next day a person comes to the kiteshop that knows the owner of the board and tells them he has the board. The shopowner asks him to bring it over and the guy says he will not give it back for less than 200 Euro. After offering 80 Euro the guy still says no and would eventually leave it for 150 Euro. So a meeting between the owner of the board and that guy is organized. Guess what happened:
When the guy showed up with the board they beat him up and took the board back, no board, no 200 Euro.
Maybe laws can say that what you find at sea is yours but human respect on property doesn't need that law. Offering 80 Euro was a very nice reward for dragging the board to the beach, or not?
I hope there are not many of that kind out there and let it be a lesson for those that think like that guy.

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby murdoc » Thu Aug 15, 2002 4:32 pm

i'd say the standard prize is a case of beer.

beating someone up is ALWAYS the wrong way.

what will this guy do if he finds another board?
he'll probably remember his last 'reward' and lets the board flow...

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Postby Tony » Thu Aug 15, 2002 4:55 pm

I have my name and number on my board so if we become separated, ownership is clear (as well as how to find the owner).
I would be more thn happy to give the guy who found my board a case of beer.
If I were to find someone else's board I would expect nothing in return.

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Fri Aug 16, 2002 8:51 am

Sorry, I may get slated for saying this, but the guy got what was coming his way.

Common courtesy says you return an item to its original owner, and don't request anything. If the owner wants to offer a reward, then its his perogative (and also common courtesy). 80 euro would have been more than sufficient for someone simply collecting the board from the water. His first mistake was asking for the money.

As much as I don't agree with beating him up, with an attitude like his, he deserved it. 200 euro is the cost of a second hand board in our country and half the price of a new one. Its not often you find boards, so this may be the only time he finds one, and maybe next time he finds one with the owners details on, making it difficult for him to sell. Next time maybe he'll think twice before demanding money to return something to its original owner.

Where we come from, I have often seen guys accidentally leave behind a kite (when it wind has been varied and the guys has a couple of kites pumped up). Any of the guys would casually pack it up and return it if they know who he is, or return it to someone who knows the guy, on the basis that they hope the same would happen to them. Once in a while you get a stupid @%$&ing &#$%@ and when something like that happens to him, he has to ask himself whose fault it is.

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 16, 2002 10:42 am

All of this shit sux !!!

kiteboarding by essence is a team sport, you need support from your fellows to land and take off your kite, you can need them to help you to get into your wake if you are wakerboarder.. and most of all you need someone to watchout you if something wrong happen...

if I've not lost my board on da water 500 times, then I never lost it!!! in our main beach when a rider loose is board and if we are close to it, we bring the board so that we even don't body drag.. it is comradship..
in Tarifa I've lost my board and could not reach it again a few time.. always a fellow to get it back to the shore..

we are aware that some people would ask money for it, this sux cause shall you pay me what your life is worth if one day I hang you while you are dragging full power to the rocks and release your safesty system?

greg@christophertasti.com

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Fri Aug 16, 2002 11:29 am

it's always a bit tricky with all this shit if some guy finds your board and wants money in return.
it's interesting what the different laws would say ...
anyone knowing anything about this?

ralph
Rare Poster

Postby ralph » Fri Aug 16, 2002 1:21 pm

I am sorry to say, but unfortunately the sea law applies in such a case:

If a vessel/boat (in our case a board) will be found on sea left by the owner/captain, it belongs (yes guys, you got me right) to the one who finds it. But it's also known that little notes like "I am just gone for a couple of minutes, will be back soon" protects the owner of the vessel from taken his boat away.

So far about the legal situation on sea for vessels. Since kiteboarding is more of a flying sport maybe air law applies (just kidding)???

I fully agree to the crade of beer option as a reward, but I have to admit that guy asking for money deserved what he got.

Stay fair on the water - next time it might be yourself in the nasty position.

Take care,

Ralph

gaffer
Frequent Poster

Postby gaffer » Fri Aug 16, 2002 2:03 pm

The way I see it,

If another kitesurfer/windsurfer/surfer finds it then I think no reward should be expected but a case of beer would be common courtesy in such a case. We are all brothers/sisters in the ocean so who knows when the favour might get returned.

If a member of the public or a fisherman finds the board its a slightly different situation, technically salvage rights might apply but I think most people will be happy to return it to its owner for a small reward or 'finders' fee. Demanding a big reward or trying to sell it on is out of order but this still does not warrant a good kicking.

Then again what goes around comes around and it looks like this guy got more than he bargained for.

Sean

edmis
Medium Poster

Postby edmis » Fri Aug 16, 2002 2:08 pm

so the conclusion to how to act if somebody asks for reward is:

1. take away the board with force.
2. do not beat the guy up.
2a. if it happens second time, do beat him up

this must be fair.

edmis

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Fri Aug 16, 2002 2:21 pm

solution #2

Next time you see him, do a jump, land on top of the windsurfer, knocking him off his board, immediately claim the board as found (he left it, even if it was by force) and demand a 500 euro reward for it (and an extra 500 euro for transport if you knock him out in the process and have to drag him back to shore). That'll teach him. he he

Return to “Kitesurfing”