Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

User reviews of high wind kites

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 18, 2002 12:23 pm

I have a SlingShot 6m, 8m, and 10m, and I like these kites alot. I have 2 other old small kites for high winds, a Naish ar5 7.5 and an older 5m wipika. My SlingShots seems alot less hyper than these older kites, and they are, I THINK, the innovators of having different connection points to attach your lines to. So when the winds are really high, and your kite seems too fast, connect to the inside pigtail as opposed to the outter one.

We have seen Naish copy Johny Doyle's innovations in the boards, because they work; and they are copying the different connector points for the lines on the kites, again, because they work. I think that this is ok, and helps all kites to be better kites, but I think it's pretty lame to lay claim to them like they tend to do.

JoBo

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 23, 2002 10:02 am

The Naish AR5 7.5m is twitchy in 25 knots in gusty stuff but in smooth stuff it goes well.

I'm contemplating getting either an 8m X2 or 2003 AERO as my high wind kite.

Also used a 2.6m c Quad but that's far too fast... but landing it's sweet as....

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 23, 2002 11:01 am

I fly ARC 630 on 22m lines in 7 to 8 bf winds. This kite is superfast and has incredible lift when doing whipped jumps - forget about rotations and technical stuff in high winds - just go ultra high !

might not be for everyone, but if you are into flying fast powerkites in high winds then you will love this kind of kite and the airtime it has to offer.

If you look for something slow with less jumping height go for a toro 8 - relatively slow, very forgiving, very stable in the gusts

But beware, high wind kiteboarding IS very dangerous compared to low and midwind kiteboarding (up to 5bf) so gear up with at least an impact vest and a helmet

regards

Paul

BigSmelly
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BigSmelly » Mon Sep 23, 2002 11:21 am

The Airblast 8.4 is managable up to about 30knots, with a nice small board (142cm BAT copy - I weigh 75kg) and FULL depower, and the air time - :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BigSmelly on 2002-09-23 12:22 ]</font>

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 23, 2002 11:57 am

I have been using Takoon Skoop 6,5 and 5. Takoon 6,5 ( flat 8,9 ) is an execellent kite and not too fast. When the wind is over 30 knots I use Takoon 5. I have been using it in 45 knots. It´s exellent for waveridding but scary to jump.

Ray-au
Medium Poster

Postby Ray-au » Mon Sep 23, 2002 1:43 pm

I used the ARX 7.5 on about 50% of the days last summer and weigh 87Kgs. At the upper limmit eg 35knots, you are riding the devil if you go for it you can get higher than with any larger kite, the fast ones are all flat, like Airrush,F1 and other Frenchies . Big Aeros, ARXs, Rhinos just dont flip back quick enough

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Mon Sep 23, 2002 1:52 pm

I seem that a bigger size kite gives you more constant power and no so twichy feel.
In high winds, it s better to go slightly overpowered than underpowered.
Making a comparation wih windsurfing, when is blowing hard (4.0) 30 knots, every good sail is more or less the same thing.
I think the best route is have a quiver of same model kites. This will give you similar feeling beetwen different sizes.

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 23, 2002 2:24 pm

high wind kiting is awesome due to the speed of the kites and thus the lift and pop you get but you must always know where your kite is or else!!! i have found the high aspect kites great for their sheet out ability when you edge hard in high winds. choppy water makes it difficult to get on edge though... basically if youre experienced enough to know what the kite is goig to do before it does, youll love kites like small x2s etc and youll go huge. however if you dont youll just get smashed around like a ragdoll...
nicko...

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Mon Sep 23, 2002 2:40 pm

I've been told the small Rhino II's turned out really fun. 8, 10, and 12m. They may be better choices than the x2 in those sizes. You go big, and have an easier time doing it.

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Mon Sep 23, 2002 4:11 pm

High wind kiting is heaps of fun as the kites react nice and fast.... it's a different feel to lightwind cruising using "tractors"....

Crazy amounts of air to be had but not for bunnies...

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

Return to “Kitesurfing”