Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Performance on light wind boards

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:29 pm

I'm thinking about buying a light wind board like the Underground Smorgasboard 148 (43cm wide). How good is the ride? Can be rided fackie?. I'm affraid that it's like to sail a big Freestyle windsurfing board. Is it?

Thanks.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dwight » Mon Aug 19, 2002 11:12 pm

I have the SB and it rocks. There are 2 of us locals that have them. People joke about how wide it is and call them the big donkeys. Yet when the wind is light, everybody wants to ride them. The board will add 2-3 knots of power to any kite. I ride mine in flat water and the ocean. In the ocean it gets a little rough in winds over 18 knots. But you don't need to be riding it in winds that strong. It rides toe side great. I never notice the width when wave riding. I spin the board toe side and ride like I do on my wave tray.

If you are buying a new Underground, then consider the wave tray. I just had them build me a 157 WT close to the width of the SB. It's so good I'm selling my SB on e-bay right now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dwight on 2002-08-20 00:13 ]</font>

aklbob
Frequent Poster

Postby aklbob » Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:17 am

I made a plywood tray style board 146cm x 42.5, and I have to say it does work wonders with a big 16m+ kite ie like a 11.8 Airblast, you can use the full range of the kite, from just being able to keep the kite in the sky, to 20 knots and fully powered(me 72kg), a board this size works very well, even powered up, and also in waves.., when you land tricks the board planes up much quicker. My board turned out the same weight as my Production underground WT147.

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Tue Aug 20, 2002 2:10 am

I find directionals work best for lightwinds... nice and fast... ok you have to jibe (well you don't if you ride toeside) but at least you can get some speed in the "bug fart" days.

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

Louis Cypher
Medium Poster

Postby Louis Cypher » Tue Aug 20, 2002 12:38 pm

Hi Dwight,

I am interested in the rockerline of the Underground SB. Can you tell me somethign about it? Thanks a lot,

louis
On 2002-08-20 00:12, Dwight wrote:
I have the SB and it rocks. There are 2 of us locals that have them. People joke about how wide it is and call them the big donkeys. Yet when the wind is light, everybody wants to ride them. The board will add 2-3 knots of power to any kite. I ride mine in flat water and the ocean. In the ocean it gets a little rough in winds over 18 knots. But you don't need to be riding it in winds that strong. It rides toe side great. I never notice the width when wave riding. I spin the board toe side and ride like I do on my wave tray.

If you are buying a new Underground, then consider the wave tray. I just had them build me a 157 WT close to the width of the SB. It's so good I'm selling my SB on e-bay right now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dwight on 2002-08-20 00:13 ]</font>

Return to “Kitesurfing”