Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Keeping your feet in the straps?

forum for kitesurfers

KailuaWinds
Rare Poster

Postby KailuaWinds » Tue Aug 20, 2002 11:15 pm

I'm switching over to a TT board right now (Underground WaveTray 147) and I'm getting my edging down. However, I seem to be having a hard time keeping my feet in my footstraps once I get moving pretty fast. As things get a little choppy, and I'm trying to lean back and ride the edge, my feet start sliding down and out of the straps.

Any advice you have would be helpful. My feet at pretty small (I wear a U.S. size 7.5 men's shoe) and I'm using Dakine footstraps.

Thanks,

Nate

drobert9
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby drobert9 » Wed Aug 21, 2002 2:34 am

I have a 181 litewave and I made a set of heel straps using shock cord and dense closed cell foam tube with a hole through it to protect your ankle. Works very well. You can buy heel straps but I chose to make mine. I will e-mail a pic if your interested I think you'll be impressed.

Dave

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:14 am

On 2002-08-21 00:15, KailuaWinds wrote:

I'm switching over to a TT board right now (Underground WaveTray 147) and I'm getting my edging down. However, I seem to be having a hard time keeping my feet in my footstraps once I get moving pretty fast. As things get a little choppy, and I'm trying to lean back and ride the edge, my feet start sliding down and out of the straps.

Any advice you have would be helpful. My feet at pretty small (I wear a U.S. size 7.5 men's shoe) and I'm using Dakine footstraps.

Thanks,

Nate

Some tricks I've seen done are to place pads under the arch and behind the heel. Before Doyle invented these fancy pads, guys were carefully peeling their deck pads and glueing foam in the right places under them. Another trick is to tighten the width of the strap. This requires having the screws closer together. You want the strap to grip the sides of your feet. All of this is easy to do with sandal plates. It's harder with fixed strap inserts. On my sandal plates, I trim the pad to make it narrower at the footstrap and drill new holes in the plate to fit the strap tighter.

KailuaWinds
Rare Poster

Postby KailuaWinds » Wed Aug 21, 2002 8:03 am

Thanks for the responses...

Dwight - I took your advice on moving the sides of the footstraps together so they grip my feet tightly. I just finished setting them up, and I can already tell it's going to make a world of difference.

Can't wait to get back out there tomorrow...

Colona
Medium Poster

Postby Colona » Wed Aug 21, 2002 8:45 am

Hi,

Be careful using heel straps, they might casue pretty nasty injuries to your akilles if something goes wrong.

My recommendation is to use a new "wide style" strap like the NSI Adam Koch Pro strap. These babies keeps your feet in place in all conditions, they work just great, and you can twist and move your feet around as you like. I have them on my WT's and at Colona we put them on all our TT's and Mutants as well.

The whole Naish range of TT's and Mutants will have these type of straps a standard from 2003.

Thanks,

Bengan
http://www.colonawatersports.com

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Aug 21, 2002 10:59 am

you also can get those wide footstraps, they give a nice hold.

Return to “Kitesurfing”