New Bump and Jump Spin-Friendly Bar

Forum for kitesurfers
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed Aug 21, 2002 8:03 pm

Bump and Jump has released a new spin-friendly bar with a safety leash system. For more information checkout:

<http://bumpandjump.com/news/detail.php? ... urf&ref=45>

http://bumpandjump.com/news/detail.php? ... urf&ref=45

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RickI on 2002-08-21 21:04 ]</font>

jever98
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby jever98 » Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:09 am

Are there any other pictures available where we can see what's happening?

Robert
Frequent Poster

Postby Robert » Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:00 am

Here's the pic:

Cheers,
Robert

Louis Cypher
Medium Poster

Postby Louis Cypher » Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:17 am

hi guys,

we (jever98 and i) know that picture. But we can hardly see any details on that picture.
Thanks,

Louis

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Aug 22, 2002 1:51 pm

I can't help with other images currently but have reproduced the press release about the new system below. It would be good to showcase new leashed, spin-friendly bars to help get the word out to kiteboarders.

Rick Iossi

(snip)

Even though it is obvious that a kite leash is an indispensable safety element in a kite system (its wear is actually compulsory
at many kite spots and is starting to become required in some competitions), many people do not wear any for diverse
reasons.
The main reason for advanced riders not to wear a leash has been that the kite leash currently supplied usually attaches to
the rider's wrist and gets wrapped around the kitelines at the first rotation of the rider or of the kite, hampering further moves.
Even more dangerous, many progressing kiteboarders also take the leash off as soon as they start doing tricks, removing this
essential safety item and exposing the downwind public and other riders to the high risk of a loose kite as well as risking the
loss of the kite for the rider.
For kitesurfing to keep progressing and the best kite spots to remain available, the safety of the general beach going public
and of the riders has to be enhanced. That means that safety rules have to be enforced and kite leashes worn.
For a year now, the Bump And Jump R&D team has been working on a revolutionary leash which would fully "kill " the power
of the kite and still allow high end performance tricks for the best riders who would then show a "good " example to follow for
all kite sailors.
The product that we are now introducing allows riders to do several full rotations in any direction and then spin the bar to
untangle the lines in the regular manner as well as do any board grabs while still remaining able to fully depower the kite
in case of a crash or other release of the kitebar while also allowing the riders to retrieve the bar and lines and relaunch the
kite from the water with lots of control.
This new leash is attached to the forward kitelines, and is guided along the center to either go through the middle of the bar
or an external eyelet, depending on the type of bar used. The line then gets attached to the harness with a quick release
buckle. The leash is mounted with a "tensor adjuster " to be able to fit it regardless of the length of the forward lines and
does not prevent using the power tuning adjustment currently used on most kites.
In our full package version, we also include a releasable chicken loop that will allow the riders to get out quickly (while still
remaining attached to the kite with the leash) and another Bump And Jump improvement on the power tuning, giving 25 cm
of range adjustable with a light two finger pull.
The complete Bump And Jump kite safety kit includes:
A set of high quality forward kitelines in 27 m length.
The new improved power adjustment setup on the forward lines.
A central releasable "chicken loop".
The new leash with tensor.
Instructions.
Once again, Bump And Jump innovates to improve your ride.
"GO FOR IT "
Patent Pending

jever98
Frequent Poster

Postby jever98 » Thu Aug 22, 2002 5:17 pm

I asked them and they said they would post more information as soon as they have post production models available.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Thu Aug 22, 2002 6:19 pm

What's different about this one and the X2 system. Am I missing something? I'm thinking it's a sliding center line leash system with a bungee inside webbing for the connection to the rider. Isn't that what Naish did? Is the excitement over this, the simple fact that now we have an aftermarket company selling this system?

I used the same system in 2001. I used the Wipika rope, with bungee inside, to make the connection to my spreader bar. I broke several of those. Now I use bungee inside webbing, just like Naish and B&J. (I gave up on shackled riding with bindings...Ouch, painful summer)

Please correct me if I missed something.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dwight on 2002-08-22 19:20 ]</font>

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Aug 22, 2002 6:42 pm

what happens below the bar when you spint the bar back after a rotation?

Toby

jever98
Frequent Poster

Postby jever98 » Thu Aug 22, 2002 6:50 pm

Exactly my question, that's why I asked

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Thu Aug 22, 2002 7:06 pm

The leash wraps around the chicken loop line, but it still works until you spin several times without ever spinning the opposite way. If you don’t feel like spinning in reverse to untwist the middle lines, you can hook into the fixed harness loop and spin the chicken loop with your hand. This unwinds the leash.

This is how my home made version works and it looks the same to me.

Return to “Kitesurfing”