X2 performence vs durability

Forum for kitesurfers
aklbob
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby aklbob » Mon Aug 26, 2002 11:08 pm

isn't the idea of stiff dacron and segmented leading edges and struts supposed to keep the kite rigid so you DON'T have to use very high pressure in the bladders, and is still performs well?? Also mentioned in the manual is DON'T OVERINFLATE! Less likely to tear at lower pressure...!!!!

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Mon Aug 26, 2002 11:39 pm

I have a simple answer to all of this..... don't drop the kite...

I thought these latest kites were meant to stay in the sky...

Expert kite is for expert rider....

Must admit though I'd be pretty peeved if my kite did that!! If I get the X2's I'm gonna heed the advice given on this thread and.....

1)Not pump it up too hard..

2)Improve my kite flying skills so I don't drop kite in first place..... I can have a ono-stop 5 hours session with my C Quad (game over when you drop these kites in the drink) and hence have learnt to keep my kite in the sky...

It's a pain in the ass relaunching any kite, no matter now easy and wastes valuable session time... hence I'm careful to keep the kite in the sky....

Kite skills are SOOOO important....

BLOWN AWAY :eek:

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 27, 2002 1:29 am

BlownAway,

If your not dropping the kite at all then you arn't kiting hard enough! If your pushing your limits and your skill level you'll drop the kite. I could kite all year and not drop it, I'd learn nothing but I'd have a safe dry kite!

aklbob
Frequent Poster

Postby aklbob » Tue Aug 27, 2002 2:04 am

Hey blownaway! did you end up getting an X2? I would have to agree that when trying new stuff you are going to drop your kite sometimes when trying new things, no matter how good your kite skills are. A fast kite can be recovered before hitting the water, but can be faster than your reactions sometimes too...
As for dropping you kite in surf, it's bad no matter what kite you have, avoid at all costs, and if you are in surf, you are surfing waves generally, not spinning etc(unless you are a legend) , and big boosts are still easy enough to land in surf (at least not drop your kite!) ...

aklbob
Frequent Poster

Postby aklbob » Tue Aug 27, 2002 2:55 am

Anyway, how the hell does your kite invert when relaunching!! Never happened to me.. except with an 11.8 Airblast, and once it bowties it sticks to itself and the water, no chance of it taking off inverted..
It sounds like all of the new stiff kites can be damaged if inverted in strange ways, someone has it happen with the North Toros too. Maybe the smaller /stiffer kites are more likely to do this in high wind? I remember doing it with my first ever kite a Wipika Classic, but only cause it was one of the first times I tried to relaunch a kite..

Anyway someone commented that in 200 uses of the X2 he's never had problems and his kites and they still look like new, so I think that says enough. (The chances of having 1 bad relaunch in 200 uses?)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Aug 27, 2002 7:47 am

I know that an Airblast had the same problem.
Got inverted and the reinforcment on top between main bladder and middle bladder broke. Still waiting on a comment by Wipika, if this is a warranty issue or not.

If you ride more and more you won't drop th ekite too often.
And even if you try new tricks you still don't have to drop it, since normally you know where the kite is and where to pull to avoid dropping.
Sometimes it happens again, but maybe once in 3 days.
Maybe there is a difference if you have a kite with more steering forces, since you can feel the kite beter where it is or where it wants to fly to.
If you use a bridle, the pressure on the bar will be less and you might not know where the kite is flying to.

Cheers
Toby

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 27, 2002 8:18 am

I also had that problem with an X2 10.0 while I was surfing in high winds in Lanzarote. When i was
trying to relaunch my kite, it suddenly inverted and now i have 2 holes between the leading edge and the rocket struts. :sad:

Bye,

Gaztea

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Tue Aug 27, 2002 1:40 pm

I've dropped my kite heaps... but have learnt the hard way and now I do land drills and try the stuff on land first before I try it on the water....

Usually when I drop my kite it's because I forget to redirect the kite and it overflies.

RUST IN PEACE :smile:

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Tue Aug 27, 2002 1:44 pm

My ARX inverts all the time but that's only because I have leaks in my leading edge bladder....

Believe me you don't want a kite inverting.... that really sux as your lines usually get tangled.

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Tue Aug 27, 2002 1:51 pm

Yes Tim I've got a 12m X2 and I plan on putting it through it's paces next time I'm out on the water.

By the summer I'll have a 16m X2 as well which should be one awesome trick kite.

I really hope that my kite doesn't tear itself inside out...

As for kitesurfing in the surf.... do yourself a favour... keep the kite in the sky. Put your input into your board and use the waves...... I'm don't really wanna have my brand new kite smashed up by a bad ass shore dump or a ruthless overhead set wave....

Since C quads are cheaper and are fixed easier........

Return to “Kitesurfing”