Forum for kitesurfers
BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Wed Aug 28, 2002 3:23 am

I'm injured and he's injured.....

that's why we're not out on the water....

and yes I've heard about that buggy/kitesurf event at Raglan... but I ain't going...

I'm not even going to the Airlords in November...

As for winter kitesurfing... I love it... far better than summer. I have a 4/3 wetsuit and that's plenty thick enough for Auckland conditions...

As for people not being there to stop my kite running away.... if you have the puppy on a leash it doesn't run away in the first place :smile:

RUST IN PEACE :smile:

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 28, 2002 3:34 am

I'm not usually into events.. usually because I'd rather spend that time kitesurfing (if everyones at the Airlords than it should be pretty quiet everywhere else :smile: :smile: ).

Either that or I'm working and don't see the point of getting the time off... I'm quite able to get the time off as the hours are very flexable where I work.

That buggy/board event should be pretty good. I myself do a bit of buggying (using C quads of course) and it's a great lightwind alternative to kitesurfing..... and you don't need a hard surface like you do on a mountainboard :smile: .

The Redbull Airlords should be good if the Sea Breeze delivers and hopefully the big names will come down... Flash, Max Bo, Robby Naish... they've all been down before...

should be good....

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 28, 2002 3:44 am

Where Can I get details of the raglan event.
Is this at the main raglan beach??

Stu

kite@stuartmitchell.com

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Wed Aug 28, 2002 3:59 am

If you live in Auckland go to kiteworks...

they'll give you the details... as far as know it's at Ocean Beach..... kiteworks was where I heard about the event.

Personally I think the kiteboarding event should be held at Manu Bay........ But the local surfing population mite not like that.... :smile:.

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:13 am

have you kited Manu bay??
have you actually ever been to Raglan

aklbob
Frequent Poster

Postby aklbob » Thu Aug 29, 2002 12:58 am

I used to surf regularly at Manu bay, but moved to Indicators as it is much better.. .. I know Ocean beach it has nice big cliffs behind it, making for a good lofting time ? :wink: .. bad on high tide I would think... You can stand at the top of the cliff, and feel the wind going up the cliff rather than blowing over!!!! (Blown away has been there too!!)

aklbob
Frequent Poster

Postby aklbob » Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:05 am

I can't kite at the moment, due to a screwed back, 1 more month... but might go down for the weekend though... could be good..

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 29, 2002 5:39 am

the event is not a competitive event but a winter get-together to kite, hang and talk shit... hence I thought it might be right up blownaways alley. I questioned whether he had been to Raglan as the suggestion that the event be held at Manu bay was upbsurd(no launch and the wind direction that actually gets into the bay is wrong for riding the lefts that the bay produces anyway)
Aklbobs right about ocean beach but when the surf is pumping it breaks well off-shore and can produce good wave riding condition.
The best thing about Raglan, however, is the harbour mouth and bar which has excellent smooth water and wave riding conditions in the predominant winds, although you have to be very aware of the strong currents present. With the wind against the 10knt or so out going current you can boost all you like and still have to work at going down wind, of cause if you break something the next stop is Australia. Asides from that they also produce some great home grown pukalolo!!

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Tue Sep 10, 2002 2:00 pm

Yeah I've been to Manu Bay... but agreed the launching would be damn near impossible (car park but as far as I can recall - no beach, just rocks....

And yes as aklbob stated... I've been to Ocean Beach before as well...ages ago.... nice spot...

RUST IN PEACE :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Tue Sep 10, 2002 2:06 pm

Hey aklbob.... Did you end up going to the buggy/kite meet???

BLOWN AWAY :evil: :evil:

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Return to “Kitesurfing”